• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Install server 2008 from USB on S2881 (tyan)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eddyg519

Hey guys I cant seem to install windows from this USB key. I copied the directly from the disk to the key and made sure its formatted for Fat32. I choose boot from usb and it just says remove disk or other media and press any key to restart.

I was able to put Ubuntu linux on it but when installing i was having trouble because i dont have a floppy or CDrom and it was like an endless loop. I was using 8.04server i think. Any clues on how i can bypass that?

Finally If i put the servers HHD in my main rig and install 2008 and move the hard drive back ill run into blue screens due to the hardware change? thats how i got linux on it in the first place but I want to do a fresh install from the USB key for exp. Etc.

Thanks in advance!

- eddy

because your USB key is not made to be bootable is the problem you cant just copy a windows disk to the USB drive, you need specific boot files on the USB for it to pick it up properly for windows.

yeah like it has autorun etc on it and when the USB keys in the windows main rig it acts like a CD. IE double clicking it runs the setup. But when i put it into the tyan server i get that error when trying to boot from it.

I suppose I could try loading XP on the machine then upgrading to 2008... Sort of odd how I cant get it just to load 2008 off the key correctly.

So it would be a waste for me to swap hard drives back and forth? I know Windows acts up if you swap machines with hardware etc etc

you dont need a floppy, you can make a bootable USB key, well, as long as your Tyan board supports booting from a USB drive?

I just put the flash files on the USB drive as if it was a floppy?

The thing is I THINK flashing it might fix the USB booting problem... like it works for unix but not windows.

However its a fresh day and Ill give windows XP a try on this and then try upgrading it.

There are many guides online to do this. I did it with the windows 7 beta. If you google it you should get a good result.

I just tried a windows 2000 server install and i get the same error.

Is there a way to install ubuntu server WITHOUT CD rom or floppy support?

I can install a unix OS off the key but not a windows OS... weird.

not that i really care this server is going to be linux I just cant seem to get past the install part for a CD rom.

I wouldn't update the bios without a floppy or to the latest version.Version 2.06 seems to work fine here with dual core cpu's.With your flash drive installed,do you have any emulation options under usb settings in bios?

ill check that shortly dezmond and get back with some results!

ill try and reinstall linux on the machine and give you guys the errors im getting with the lack of CD rom (couldnt get back that install step)

Back