• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help please - MSI 790GX Socket am2+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SCFAdamVcG

hi ,Just got my new motherboard ,kingston ram 1066 ddr2 7-7-7-20 and amd phenom 9500 x4 yesterday ,but my question is ,i have 1066 ram and have found the timings for it as shown above which are the recommended timings from kingston, just i cant set them,there is simply no option for 7 ,only 6 ,any help someone please?

Same with my gigabyte 780G board and my Mushkin 1066 ram. I tried to relax the timings to correct instability in dual channel mode and found it would not let me go from CL 5 to CL 7. Could only go to 6. I was baffled.

did you manage to fix it? if so ,how?

NO. Well, yes, hopefully. I ordered a new board made by ASrock. Should be here Monday so I'll find out soon. I grew weary fighting with Gigabyte tech support as they would not acknowledge there was a problem. Sent it in for RMA once and they fixed another problem I was having with the board but I don't even think they checked the dual channel issue. They kept blaming it on the CPU. Only thing is that same CPU when I put it in my wife's computer would run dual channel just fine. It could be just an incompatibility issue with the ram I suppose.

:welcome: to OCF!
(missed it last time)

BIOS update is the first thing on my list of things-to-do when I start up a new system. It's so second nature to me I don't even think about it ...

Update to newest bios is a good start. Some boards require you to press a function key to access more settings (DFI comes to mind).

If you end up needing to exchange for another 790GX board, the gigabyte mobo in my sig has great memory options, and detects SPD for every setting for the memory, not just the 5-5-5-15/6-6-6-18. It just may be the greatest mobo ever! (with the newest bios)

Back