• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I get better temps...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dja2k

I currently have an XIGMATEK HDT-SD964 92mm on my system as you can tell in my signature. I was wondering if I would get any benefit besides quieter operation if I switch over to a XIGMATEK HDT-S1284EE 120mm. My idle temps are shown in the attachment. CPU rarely goes past 40 on regular operations but during OCCT testing when finding overclock settings, it would go as high as 60. I use Artic Cooling MX-2. I still don't understand the CPU, SYSTEM, CHIPSET ratings in this app because SYSTEM and CHIPSET are always the same. OCCT shows something else, don't know which one is right.

dja2k

Attachments

• 4-5-2009 12-35-46 AM.jpg
    4-5-2009 12-35-46 AM.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 230
Try something like real temp or something like that or use PC wizard and check there. If you want to improve your cooling you could either get you HSF lapped, better thermal paste, redo the thermal paste better or get a better cooler. But if you only get to 60 on load i wouldn't worry too much about that. My mates Q9400 @ 3.4 loads at 97 because he is using a rev 1 on his HSF which was only made for C2D.

Better thermal paste, reviews show that Artic Cooling MX-2 is good, what else is better? Are you familiar with the XIGMATEK heatinks?

dja2k

Use core temp to monitor your cpu temps. your oc is pretty hefty, im not to familiar with wolfdales, (just upgraded from a conroe). maybe put a few dots of artic silver 5 on and reseat ur cooler. make sure you clean off all existing thermal paste before applying, you dont wanna suffocate ur cpu. Xigmatek supposed to be a really good hsf although i never had one myself. @ that temp your fanspeed should he higher than that also i think. make sure your hsf is clamped down good also.

I think that your cooler, thermal paste situation is just fine. Look at other ways to improve your cooling.
One thing that you might try is pulling the side panel off your case and pointing a house fan inside and running full load on your cpu. If you get noticably lower temps doing that, it may be an indication that you need better case flow. The P180 mini is a great case, but you may benefit from upgrading the case fans.

Use core temp to monitor your cpu temps. your oc is pretty hefty, im not to familiar with wolfdales, (just upgraded from a conroe). maybe put a few dots of artic silver 5 on and reseat ur cooler. make sure you clean off all existing thermal paste before applying, you dont wanna suffocate ur cpu. Xigmatek supposed to be a really good hsf although i never had one myself. @ that temp your fanspeed should he higher than that also i think. make sure your hsf is clamped down good also.
Artic Cooling MX-2 is better than Artic Silver 5 and thanks I will use Core Temp instead. Fan speed is good, that's how it starts and will go up when it reaches higher temps. The heatsink and existing thermal paste is all set correctly. I was asking in this thread, if I would benefit from changing to the 120mm Xigmatek instead of my 92mm one, that's all.

I think that your cooler, thermal paste situation is just fine. Look at other ways to improve your cooling.
One thing that you might try is pulling the side panel off your case and pointing a house fan inside and running full load on your cpu. If you get noticably lower temps doing that, it may be an indication that you need better case flow. The P180 mini is a great case, but you may benefit from upgrading the case fans.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will try that to see if my temps go down.

dja2k

I think it's the air intake - exhaust solution that would help you, fiddle around and see what's blocking the airways :)

Okay um are you guys saying my temps aren't good at all? I get 42c Idle and 61c Max testing the CPU and never actually see 61c in normal usage.

dja2k

Okay um are you guys saying my temps aren't good at all? I get 42c Idle and 61c Max testing the CPU and never actually see 61c in normal usage.

dja2k
There is nothing at all wrong with your temperatures! However, idle temps are irrelevant. Load your computer with Prime95 on all cores. Then measure the temps. If under 65 -70 deg C (depending on your ambient temp), everything is AOK.

Not saying your temps are bad. You just dont want your load temps too high but 61 is perfectly resonable :thup: However if you really want to improve your temps then get some better aftermarket one like a Coolermaster V8/v10 or a Thermalright :)

The Xigmatek 120mm would drop your temps a few degrees and be a little quieter. The 1283 gets slightly better temps than the 1284.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2333&page=4
Yeah I know that the 1283 does better but I already have a crossbow for 4 heatpipe version and don't want to remove the board just to change the crossbow to a 3 heatpipe version. So my closest change would be to the 1284 with 120mm. Still debating the $40 or so for that 1284 though.

There is nothing at all wrong with your temperatures! However, idle temps are irrelevant. Load your computer with Prime95 on all cores. Then measure the temps. If under 65 -70 deg C (depending on your ambient temp), everything is AOK.
I've dual Primed this setup and never saw anything close to 70 degrees. It was around the same temps as I would get with OCCT but Prime would be around 60 - 65. I'll give it another go and see exactly what I got now with a dual Prime run. But OCCT max right now is 61 c.

Not saying your temps are bad. You just dont want your load temps too high but 61 is perfectly resonable :thup: However if you really want to improve your temps then get some better aftermarket one like a Coolermaster V8/v10 or a Thermalright :)
Okay thanks for the suggestion but I am staying with XIGMATEK heatsinks for now, maybe upgrade in the future.

dja2k

Last edited:
Be sure to select "Small FFTs" when running Prime, that'll give you the highest CPU temperatures. Well, the highest that Prime can give you anyway.

Disregard this paragraph is you already use Coretemp or Realtemp - Definitely use Coretemp or Realtemp over the DFI application for CPU core temperatures. Depending on which sensor it monitors (Tcase or Tjunction), the DFI application could be 10-15c lower than your cores are. Or not. Not familiar with it, so I can't say one way or the other. From your sig, it looks like you're quoting measurements with Coretemp, but your posts don't say explicitly.

As previously stated, your thermal paste is already excellent. If you load both cores and Coretemp/Realtemp never go over the 60C'ish you mentioned, you're just fine.

If you participate in distributed computing projects you might want to consider bringing it down a little bit but even there you're likely not at risk of hurting it. As a personal preference, I prefer to keep my CPU below 55c for 24/7 Folding@Home. That's very arbitrary though and your personal max is just that. :)

Be sure to select "Small FFTs" when running Prime, that'll give you the highest CPU temperatures. Well, the highest that Prime can give you anyway.

As previously stated, your thermal paste is already excellent. If you load both cores and Coretemp/Realtemp never go over the 60C'ish you mentioned, you're just fine.
Yes I am using CoreTemp and with Orthous with Priority 2, it keeps steady at 61 C with those two threads running. If that is good enough, then I won't bother buying the Xigmatek 1284 and spending $40 at the moment just to knock some degrees off.

dja2k

Fair enough i guess :) Wouldn't even consider that just to knock off like 2 degrees
Also I only got the stock cooling of the Mini P180 which is an Antec 120mm & 200mm Outtake and added only 1 more Antec 120mm Intake. They are decent and quiet plus they do the job without me having to spend more on changing the fans as well.

Project for later I presume would be to change to the XIGMATEK 1284EE and then change my two 120mm fans to something better. I don't see myself changing to an Intel i7 and Triple Channel DD3 board anytime soon.

dja2k

I think as a little project, I am going to lap my cpu sometime next month. Most probably that will give me a reason to go with the 120mm Xigmatek version. Now do any of you know if I buy the Dark Knight S1283V with its new clamps, if I can mounted on my current Crossbow? I think pratically why they say its for 3 or 4 heatpipe versions is because of the clamps and not the crossbow itself, maybe I am mistaken. Reason I am asking is cause the Dark Knight is better than my alternative HDT-S1284EE, but seriously I don't want the trouble of removing the motherboard, take out the old crossbow, then install the new one that comes in the Dark Knight.

dja2k

Back