• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core i7 cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Godzilla

I need a decent cooler which does not involve me ripping out my motherboard from my case and putting on a back plate.

Any ideas?

well if your board has LGA775 holes you could use the ninja rev B. though that uses push pins, not my favorite... why you agianst bolt down hs's?

well if your board has LGA775 holes you could use the ninja rev B. though that uses push pins, not my favorite... why you agianst bolt down hs's?

I really dont fancy having to take everything out of my case to be honest, its too much hassle.

My mobo is LGA 1366.

Is the Akasa Nero any good?

Agreed. Or you can buy a quality HS and pay someone $40 or so to install it. Quality aftermarket modding gear like a better HS needs the Mobo removed.

Might as well learn now.

You have a nice system, you wouldnt be doing it justice if you went with a cheep pushpin. Plus core i7 runs really hot so you would want a bolt on, once you install one you will see thats it is not all that bad, and for me feels really satisfying once it's installed.

well even though my mobo is i7 it has both mounting holes for HS"s, LGA775 and LGA1366.

never seen anything on that HS, might check around.

oh right, no i only have the lga1366 holes, by the way what cooler are you using for your i7?

oh right, no i only have the lga1366 holes, by the way what cooler are you using for your i7?

first ninja that has only the Socket478 clips... at 3.4ghz with my denki's at med speed, temps top at 70-72 depending on the amb temp.

whats the BEST i7 cooler out there today resulting in the LOWEST temps?

Get a TRUE and Lap it, mine was extremely concave. I sit at 34C with no load and 48C with load. Before Lapping my Temps were closer to 50C no load, and 70C with load, i should also mention that my lap job was no where near perfect, but getting it down to copper instead of that nickel plating is a must in my mind.

Get a TRUE and Lap it, mine was extremely concave. I sit at 34C with no load and 48C with load. Before Lapping my Temps were closer to 50C no load, and 70C with load, i should also mention that my lap job was no where near perfect, but getting it down to copper instead of that nickel plating is a must in my mind.

oc'd or stock?

I really dont fancy having to take everything out of my case to be honest, its too much hassle.?
I completely understand.

Any decent heatsink is going to require that you pull the mobo and install a bolt-thru kit.
I don't know that I agree. My Xigmatek HDT-S1283 is a very good heatsink and it attaches with pushpins. Granted, an optional backplate kit is available, but it cools my Q6600 quite well using just the pushpin mounting.

Stock, I forgot to mention make sure you go Push/Pull with that setup, 2 fans work a lot better then 1.

what about the Thermalright TRUE Copper version?

I don't know that I agree. My Xigmatek HDT-S1283 is a very good heatsink and it attaches with pushpins. Granted, an optional backplate kit is available, but it cools my Q6600 quite well using just the pushpin mounting.

Q6600 is no i7, in terms of heat output...

Back