• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So, between the dates of April 9th to 19th i get a new card!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Guvernment

yes, i sold my 4850 to a friend, i needed something new for my rig

i have the dell 23' that runs 1920 x 1080 and while my 4850 is good, i figure i could use better and my friend needed a card for a rig i sold him (had integrated intel) so i sold him my Visiontek 4850 for $100 since i am a nice guy

So my dilema now... i have no video card for my rig but am hitting toronto (my home town) on the above dates and plan to buy a new card while i am there, since the exchange rate from US to CAD is pretty nice is cheaper for me to get it there, even witht axes.

with the 4890 being out.. i was considering that.. it seems like a nice card, but i havent seen alot of reviews... so besides the 4890 i thought a GTX 260?

i dont know, i like to buy new things, not something that has been out for a while already...... so.. convince me.. where should i spent my money!

now i will be buying from one of 2 places since this will be a walk in purchase

www.pccanada.com

or

www.pcvillagecanada.com

which ever has the cheaper price for me at the time....

{EDIT} I refuse to buy from tigerdirect.ca cause they sell repackaged crap that never works! (my uncle, over 2 years eventally had to return everything he bought from them cause it died or was DOA)

dam doing a conversion from CAD to US it will cost me almost $60 US more to get it in canada..lol

well pcvillage canada has it for $299.99 CAD instead of the other place that is $329.99 so

341.99 CAD = 275.066 USD

thas alot better...

Read up on some reviews about the 4890 and the GTX 275.

The two performs nearly identical and the performance is close to the 280. If you use aftermarket cooler the 4890 seems like a better the while the 275 is cool and silent enough according to guru3d * which review I would recommend).

Then the 4870 and the 260 price dropped to 150.

Weight it whether the performance of teh new cards worth it over the two cheaper ones, I think you can't really go wrong wither way.

ya, i am glad i waited for a new card, nice to get good performing cards for this price range these days.

Its hard finding a decent price in Toronto. PCVonline can sometimes have good deals..and theres one near my house so I dont have to worry about shipping. Check esng.ca too. Its in downtown Toronto. Not great, but back when the 9800GX2 was $450+ in Canada.. they had it on sale for $325..also I bought some OCZ XTC Platinum ram at a great price too. (PC8500)

At College and Spadina there are ALOT of computer stores. Maybe 15-20. Take some time to go there, all shops are walking distance away from each other... you might find a good deal there too.

If you want to shop online, Id say NCIX would be best. They have weekly deals so watch out for that...and they're only gonna charge you 5% GST with decent shipping rates.

ya, i am familiar with the C &S area, all the little mom and pop comp shops, can take a walk around there, take the girlfriend to see the area :)

After reading some reviews I personally don't think the 4890 1GB is worth 70$ more than the 4870 1GB or GTX260 216.

Back