• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q9650 Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jason93

I just upgraded to a Q9650 and overclocked it to 3.6 by setting the FSB to 400x9, ram at stock 800mhz, and the vcore to 1.225v. I have an Antec 900 case, and using a OCZ Vendetta 2 for my heatsink.

Idle temps: 35,34,38,35c The one core at 38c never moves, except on load.
Load temps 45,45,47,46c running prime95 large FFT for 10min

It's weird if I don't overclock and leave the CPU at 3.0 the idle temps are the same when overclock to 3.6?? Also in the bios is says 400x9.5?? That gets me 3.6 overclock, shouldn't the multiplier be 9??

Are my idle temps too high? My load temps I assume are good??

Thanks for your help!

it happens the same to me.
I do like burebista says
realtemp and coll down test. I discovered that one of my core temp sensors, its damaged.
Only 3 fluctuating up and down.
I have a Q9450

I just upgraded to a Q9650 and overclocked it to 3.6 by setting the FSB to 400x9, ram at stock 800mhz, and the vcore to 1.225v. I have an Antec 900 case, and using a OCZ Vendetta 2 for my heatsink.

Idle temps: 35,34,38,35c The one core at 38c never moves, except on load.
Load temps 45,45,47,46c running prime95 large FFT for 10min

It's weird if I don't overclock and leave the CPU at 3.0 the idle temps are the same when overclock to 3.6?? Also in the bios is says 400x9.5?? That gets me 3.6 overclock, shouldn't the multiplier be 9??

Are my idle temps too high? My load temps I assume are good??

Thanks for your help!
Clockspeed, especially idle wont really raise temps. Load temps are just fine assuming you are calling a load Prime95 Small FFT or the CPU test in OCCT. I see you used large. Use small, it will/should get a bit warmer. But regardless those temps are fine.

400x9.5=3800Mhz. 9 is the default multi and unless you have a QX chip, you cant run 98.5 multi. You clockspeed says you are at 400x9=3600Mhz

Idle temperatures are meaningless for 45nm CPU's.
Take RealTemp and do a CPU Cool Down Test. Post a screenshot here.
Idle temps are meaningless for any cpu.

The "test sensors" button in real temp lat. version, its great since runs prime95 for 10 min, and lets you ge a pretty good idea of your range in temps. That is the cool down test.
You should do that :)

I ran prime95 small FFT:

RealTemp.jpg
[/IMG]

What is "distance from TjMax"?

Damn man, awesome load temperatures for a quad @3.6GHz. :eek:
Everything is OK. It looks like Core2 is stuck at 38C but nothing to worry because it moves nicely in load.

Enjoy your CPU.

Back