• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

tuniq tower not working need replacement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingerben

Hiya all

Ive got a tuniq tower on my e5200 @ 4ghz runnin 1.352v and it gets up to 75c at the mo when i run prime95, ive reseated it twice and made sure the right amount of artic silver is on the cpu. ive been reading the forums and it seams its either gonna be a Noctua NH-U12P or Xigmatek Dark Knight-S1283, but i just need the temps down, i basicly need to know the best cooler with out it sounding like a aeroplane.

thanks in advance

I researched this for a couple weeks and came up with these as my top 3:

1- Noctua NH-U12P
2- Thermalright HR-01 Plus
3- Xigmatek HDT-S1283

I had the same goal as you - very good cooling with very little noise. I went for the Noctua since it was within 1-2C of the Thermalright and came with a pretty good fan and quality thermal compound. I'll be mounting it later this week when I put the new rig together.

If the tuniq isnt working, its not mounted right. That cooler is not better or worse then any cooler listed in the second post. I had it cooling an e8400 at 4.2Ghz 1.4v and temps never broke 65C. Maybe some lapping is in order or something.

OUt of those coolers, I would get teh xigmatek.

If the tuniq isnt working, its not mounted right. That cooler is not better or worse then any cooler listed in the second post. I had it cooling an e8400 at 4.2Ghz 1.4v and temps never broke 65C. Maybe some lapping is in order or something.

OUt of those coolers, I would get teh xigmatek.

I was going to say the same thing, the Tower should perform pretty well :shrug:

yeah, something isn't right there, perhaps the cpu needs to be lapped, tuniq is a great cooler and should handle that with no problems.

Agreed. I have a Tuniq Tower that is holding my E8400 @ 3.6GHz and has never seen over 45c.

Something is wrong with the contact between the chip and heatsink.

cool, ok then looks like ill be buyin some sand paper 2morro, ive been reading some lapping guides for the core 2 duos, and it seems simple enough, but when it comes to the bottom of the tuniq is it exactly the same process.

Reapply the thermal compound and try to change its orientation in the case to see if it gets a better bite on the cpu.

If you touch it is it hot or warm? If it is seated properly it should be hot to the touch.

cool, ok then looks like ill be buyin some sand paper 2morro, ive been reading some lapping guides for the core 2 duos, and it seems simple enough, but when it comes to the bottom of the tuniq is it exactly the same process.

Yup, it is the same process just do a few passes and then rotate 90 degrees over and over again.

also, the E5200 doesn't use solder between the core and the IHS, so it is possible for there to be a problem with the TIM between the 2

Holy cow!! my 90nm p4-830 dosn't get that hot at 4ghz&1.3750v!!!! maybe a heatsink paste problem?? I noticed this has been said already on here but get you some ArticSilver and spread about a DROP with a piece of somthing clean to a nice smooth coat before you put the heatsink on.

hahaha yea and after reading a little closer I dont think Intel would mess up mounting a chip do you really??? I did rip one apart one time and they are soldered in there kinda funny though...

139.jpg

Last edited:
Back