• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are gains to be had with a different heatsink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trottel

Hi, I plan on buying parts for a new computer, and I want to overclock it. I will probably buy a 2Ghz celeron from newegg. It comes with a heatsink. Other heatsinks seem to be very expensive. Would I be able to overclock a lot higher with a big copper heatsink with a big fan on it? Thank you for helping.

Overclocking a Celeron wouldn't really be worthwhile, it won't gain you big performance or anything. Why a Celeron? Do a little searching around and get a good used Core 2 Duo. I got an E4500 for my HTPC for $40 and it's WAY better than any Celeron out there. That's what I'd recommend. For basic cooling/overclocking, the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 is a good, cheap standby.

Yea, your better off taking that extra $40 for a fansink and putting it towards a better CPU, then overclock that CPU a little with the stocker to gain another extra amount of perf.

Yes, an aftermarket heatsink will let the chip clock higher... but I'm in agreement with the others. Spend the extra money on a better chip. I think you would be happier starting with a core2 than the performance gain you would get from overclocking a celeron.

Overclocking a celeron is like tuning a nokia 5110, whatever you do it's still crap :) Just get a better cpu :)

[size=-3]<- (Proud Conroe-L Celeron overclocker)[/size]

You can still get to like 3.6 on a celeron but not on that stock cooling. if you want to overclock one of them then i seems like then you have to get a better HSF. but like others, save money and buy another chip that can be tweaked a little using the stock HSF :)

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure my Epox socket 939 motherboard is dead as its error codes imply. So I kind of have to do something ASAP as the computer labs are frequently filled or unavailable and I am missing my Farcry2 and left4dead already. The E5200 is about the same price as a celeron with a good aftermarket heatsink. So just to reiterate / make sure, most people agree that a celeron with aftermarket heatsink will not be as powerful as an E5200 with the stock aluminum cooler? Thanks. I am just so confused right now.

Yes the e5200 would be much better just make sure you get a board that will actually overclock well.

Back