• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suspenion wires for heavy heatsink possiblei? Whats good wire to use???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mas5acre

I have a TRUE Copper I want to help suspend to take some of the weight off my mobo in a vertical orientation. Any wire recommendations?

You don't have to use wire, you can use heavy thick gage fishing line. Using wire is risky. If anything should happen to the wire(s) like breaking, if it makes contact with something on the board you'll short it out killing it.

Fishing like is plastic/nylon and is alot safer ;)

Yeah, some fishing line would do the trick... But some solid copper wire holding the copper TRUE would probably look pretty sharp. Just make sure like Neb said that it either won't break or is nice and rigid not to move around.

I remember I used aluminium wire to hold up a Torin Blower I used ages ago. I had no problems with it but I agree that fishing line is a lot better.

Last edited:
I have a TRUE Copper I want to help suspend to take some of the weight off my mobo in a vertical orientation. Any wire recommendations?

Glad to see you taking precaution with that beast. I think some safety wire (read "bailing twine" lol) in a sm diameter would do the trick if it is only touching the true and the case. Or like posted above, some copper wire would go with the theme.

Thx for all the suggestions, anyone know of any heavy duty fishing line thats not copper but looks like it in color?

Hey thx that's probably what I'll buy, thx for taking the time to help!

I wouldn't worry about it.
If you install it correctly and the screwage is secure, there should be no problem.
I've never had any saggage problems with Thermalrights and have easily used a dozen.

I wouldn't worry about it.
If you install it correctly and the screwage is secure, there should be no problem.
I've never had any saggage problems with Thermalrights and have easily used a dozen.

Have you used the copper version of the TRUE? It weighs 1900g. Thats over 4 pounds hanging off a piece of plastic and copper.

Have you used the copper version of the TRUE? It weighs 1900g. Thats over 4 pounds hanging off a piece of plastic and copper.
I wouldn't be stupid enough to mount it vertically.
That cooler needs to be on a benching rig and nothing else.

I wouldn't be stupid enough to mount it vertically.
That cooler needs to be on a benching rig and nothing else.

It does not need to be horizontal. It is perfectly fine in a vertical app if not moved around alot, he wants to make sure and take an extra precaution. If he has it in his lan rig, then yeah it is a no no.

"Taking into account significant weight of this cooling solution, Thermalright recommends users to avoid horizontal installation and suggests that you should better use it in “desktop” type cases."

Vertical is up and down and horizontal is laying west east.

It looks like they have a typo there. It should warn to avoid vertical apps, but there is no link to the Thermalright quote they are referencing though. As long as it isnt moved, you are good to go. They even have it in a vertical mount case also in their pics.

Pretty big Typo. I did my research and felt dumb after I bought it. Ya, I noticed their test system was vertical too, that's what made me believe it wasn't a typo. After I read more after I ordered it I realized their mistake was my mistake. I really do like it now that I've seen it in person and won't return though but I am really worried. Plan on buying enzotech copper ramsinks. Also as another percaution, Im buying an x58-ud5 0r extreme for extra 2oz of copper support to help, it also doesn't hurt this gigabyte board that it has the best cooling and thickness of any x58 board.

Last edited:
Pretty big Typo. I did my research and felt dumb after I bought it. Ya, I noticed their test system was vertical too, that's what made me believe it wasn't a typo. After I read more after I ordered it I realized their mistake was my mistake. I really do like it now that I've seen it in person and won't return though but I am really worried. Plan on buying enzotech copper ramsinks. Also as another percaution, Im buying an x58-ud5 0r extreme for extra 2oz of copper support to help, it also doesn't hurt this gigabyte board that it has the best cooling and thickness of any x58 board.

Jiga boards are basically all I have used in the past 6-7 years, even with my AMD systems. They are nice and sturdy and I have no problems with them at all. And I have smashed the push pins and heat sinks down to get it as tight as possible and no breakage. I still don't think you made a mistake.

Or maybe it isn't a typo and they're worried about the hs bending the mobo towards the case in a horizontal setup o_O

That would be a great pic if it ever did happen like that lol.

If you were going to use wire I'd think some .030 or so range soft piano wire might work, I'd kinda half thought about one of those over time myself :p

Soft O1 grade wire is very durable and easy to bend. pretty hard stuff to break in general, fishing line around heat would make me a bit leary.

Yeah the shorting out thing would be a mess though. The right wire you'd almost have to cut it I doubt it would break.

They look pretty not sure really worth the effort :) Can't say I haven't been tempted though hehe.

Even the .060 range stuff is pretty easy to bend and durable.

Last edited:
Back