• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling nehalems? Domino?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

davision

Registered
I'm deciding between in i7 or a dual-Nehalem.

If I were to get the dual Nehalem, I don't think I'd be overclocking, but I wouldn't mind the quiet of liquid cooling.

Would it be 'stuipid' to use TWO CoolIt Dominoes -- one for each cpu?

I have never water cooled, and these units sound very easy to use --AND cheap.

Would it be a bad idea to hook them up like that? I doubt I'll overclock so they don't have to have super cooling power.

Cheap. Weak. Not recommended. An i7 is also known as a Nahelem, it's the same thing. No. So we are done? Dual chip server board? You kidding?

Spend a few days to learn. You got a lot to learn. Get a drink, read the last 30 or so threads at least every single input, and take notes.

Last edited:
I don't know anything firsthand but it seems like people are using the CoolIt Dom to cool overclocked i7s, so the 3.2 xeons should be fine.

And I quote...
The screenshots provided utilized the CoolIt Systems Freezone Elite and I can go higher with it. The "short" review I am working on now will show the CoolIt Domino and the Vigor Monsoon III coolers, hopefully I can have the retail cooler results finished also.

I am at 4.3GHz on both of the those coolers and just passed the 24 hour mark of our test suite. At this point I believe the settings we used are 24/7 stable and have started doing the individual tests for the review. However, I think 4.2 at 1.31V probably provides a better margin of safety on air and will probably recommend that setting. Both of our retail processors performed identically in the testing. I have another retail unit arriving today that I will check quickly this evening.
\

This is from the Anandtech preview of D0...

http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=584

Okay, buy it. Be happy.

I see no mention of cooling methods used in the test, please update the link to show where they used that system to cool the CPU please.

Last edited:
Look in the comments for Gary Key down towards the bottom. He explains the screen shots... that's where my blue quote comes from. And he also says they overclocked successfully with the Domino (even though it's not in the screen shots).

check out this link
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=285&Itemid=62
in the review they also list the domino and its so so compared to the higher end air hs's.
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...k=view&id=285&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=14
i would say for a stock cpu its going to be fine and much better then intel stock cooler. for the $$/cooling performance its a rip off IMO. if you dont oc the cpus then look at the HR01-plus or mugen 2 air hs's. for those you dont need high CFM/lound fans for good cooling performance.

Back