• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for and aftermarket cooler..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ryfox0276

Registered
So i have narrowed it down to these contestants. My price range is anywhere from free to 50 bucks max. I have an e8400 right now, and i have no idea what the difference is between this one and that one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185074
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134
http://www.svc.com/falcon-92-al.html
So if you have anything to say, or if you have a better hsf in mind, then let me know!
I really like the bolt thru style vs. the push pins, but i can accept both.

I'm new here, but I've been doing a bunch of research on this to find a replacement for the Zerotherm Btf90 I've been using. I don't want to try to dig up all the stuff I looked at, but if you have more questions I'll try to help some more.

Out of those you listed, the Xigmatek is the best, but I've read in various places that the OCZ Vendetta 2 with the Xigmatek crossbow backplate mount is better than the Xigmatek.

According to benchmarkreviews, even with the pushpin mounting, the Vendetta 2 came out ahead (I think the TRUE numbers are only off because they don't seem to have lapped it for their test). The increased mounting pressure with the backplate just makes it even better.

I ordered one the other day from ZipZoomFly for $35.49 with free shipping, just waiting for it to arrive. I ordered the backplate, some TIM, and some fans from either Newegg or Frozentech, I forget atm.

Hope this helps!

grndragon's link should help you out the most. Its pretty close between the xig s1283, s1284, and the sunbeam CCF. Pick which one you like the looks of better or can find the best deal on.

That's a great place to start (it's where I started :) ), but to find the true capabilities of different sinks you gotta check out reviews that also look at performance in other ways, such as using better quality high cfm/pressure fans and low cfm/pressure fans, using the same fan on different coolers, etc.

That's why I personally chose the Vendetta 2 over the s1283. Other reviews place the temp difference much closer, with similar differences in sound (the V2 is 9 dBA quieter than the s1283 with stock fans, and I personally hate a case that sounds like a vacuum cleaner!). And then, replace the fan with a higher CFM/pressure than the stock fan, and the V2 starts coming out ahead of the Xig using the same fans (as benchmarkreviews show). With the Crossbow backplate, the V2 seems to be the clear winner from the various stuff I've read, though at that point the cost is a bit above ryfox's $50 max...

Can't go wrong with the s1283 if you're strapped for cash though, it's a great cooler and I would've picked it if I wasn't swayed by the overall results of the s1283 vs. Vendetta 2 in various reviews (and if ZipZoomFly didn't have it for the same price with free shipping as Newegg's s1283!).

Last edited:
Hey so thanks for all the replies! Man i love this place! So im really thinking about getting the xigmatek one with the retention bracket. The hsf is only 19.99 at newegg now after rebate! that's a good deal! But the OCZ one looks pritty cool too, so i will have to think about it.

Yeah with the rebate the Xigmatek should probably be your choice, that way you can just get the backplate from Newegg at the same time. And really, it's performance is very good (especially with the backplate), just louder than the Vendetta 2 with stock fans.

When I get my cooler, I'm going to try some other 120mm fans I have on my Vendetta 2 and see if I can get a better performance/noise balance than the stock fan. I'm hoping my red led fan will have a good balance with cool red glow, but I'm also going to try my Noctua P12 and Scythe S-Flex fans that I have and see how those work out as well (again, I'm trying more for quiet performance).

I would look into the scythe mugen 2 if you are looking for value. very nice cooler and will work with just about any cpu and give great results

Hmmm, i didnt see that one came with the backplate.. I might want to switch because it matches my northbridge heatsink very well. (plus it just looks cooler by itself)

The black edition is 3 bucks more than the regular one with the mir plus the backplate. I like this because i dont have to deal with all that rebate crapola.

Meh, +1 for the Xigmatek S1283. Awesome cooler for the price, what can I say, I'm a price/performance sort of guy :beer:

Back