• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Give that (450) power a core 216 chance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flixotide

Having toasted my old PSU just after new years, I'm currently running a nice little VX450 in my gaming rig. To admit it, I'm surprised the world hasn't come undone yet, as my rig is running nice and tight, with or without OC.

With my 8800 ultra pulling easy 170 idle, which is very similar / slightly less than the 216 (which I've seen reported round 150 idle) I can't help taking my chances squeezing the box with a core 216 and the VX450 until it pops.

Somehow I doubt it will, as corsair knows their value! But really, its also quite unnervning, hardly getting a chance to leave a store without a 750 watt PSU these days, claiming it can't be done with any less.

With 4 harddisks raiding, 2 opticals, audigy sound card, tv-tuner, E6800 and 4 gigs of mem, running nice n stable, I'd still give the old 450 watt a chance if you're looking to get a core 216.

Then again.. its really your call, not mine. Just though I'd share my experience.

Cheers, Trin

Not bad at all. I got a cheapo 250w pushing a 939 setup atm till I get a RMA replacement from OCZ for the 520 I sent in. Total specs of the rig:

Asus A8N-E
4400+ Dual Core
AC Freezer Pro A64
2GB of ram (4x512mb)
320GB harddrive
Modded Up X1800XT
DVDRW/CDRW combo drive

I was using a Hipro 185w in this thing before, lol.

No OCing done with the E6800, I assume?

Just as a sidenote, I'm going to do a pretty much whole upgrade on my rig... Just wanted some opinions on the PSU part. Running on an OCZ StealthXtream 600 W now, going to go for a Gigabyte 780G-<insert number/alphabet sequences here>, Phenom x3 II 720, and a GTX260 216 or Radeon 48(7/9)0. Only running one (maybe someday upgrade to 2) SATA2 HDD, one DVDRW, 4x120mm fans, 2 CCFLs, Zalman CNPS9700. So, the upgrade will be run by the current PSU, but will it handle OCing too? I'm yet to find any charts on actual power draws of OCed PII x3 720s, only the <about 16 Ax12> draw of a stock one. Thanks for any insight.

yea there is a old thread around here or xs with someone that pushed a 400 or 450 psu. while it was near the limits of the psu it never crashed or froze as a result of the psu, oced or not. people tend to way over do the psu some times... my suggestion is to always consider what you might get down the road. as spending the extra 20-40 on a psu can save you even moredown the road when you go to upgrade or add something.

I over pushed my 560W silverstone :)

Used to be able to game 2x4850s and a phen 2 quad core.

Tried ocing the CPU... now I cant run Vantage at stock...

Having toasted my old PSU just after new years, I'm currently running a nice little VX450 in my gaming rig. To admit it, I'm surprised the world hasn't come undone yet, as my rig is running nice and tight, with or without OC.

With my 8800 ultra pulling easy 170 idle, which is very similar / slightly less than the 216 (which I've seen reported round 150 idle) I can't help taking my chances squeezing the box with a core 216 and the VX450 until it pops.

Somehow I doubt it will, as corsair knows their value! But really, its also quite unnervning, hardly getting a chance to leave a store without a 750 watt PSU these days, claiming it can't be done with any less.

With 4 harddisks raiding, 2 opticals, audigy sound card, tv-tuner, E6800 and 4 gigs of mem, running nice n stable, I'd still give the old 450 watt a chance if you're looking to get a core 216.

Then again.. its really your call, not mine. Just though I'd share my experience.

Cheers, Trin

Flix,

That little Corsair is really a top quality 500w power supply disguised and sold as a 450w and can do it all day long. :thup:

yea there is a old thread around here or xs with someone that pushed a 400 or 450 psu. while it was near the limits of the psu it never crashed or froze as a result of the psu, oced or not. people tend to way over do the psu some times... my suggestion is to always consider what you might get down the road. as spending the extra 20-40 on a psu can save you even moredown the road when you go to upgrade or add something.

Evil,

Great advice as usual.

Here's that link:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=511180

Caveat: Not recommended!

Flix,

That little Corsair is really a top quality 500w power supply disguised and sold as a 450w and can do it all day long. :thup:

Agree, its really a super little box. Quite too!

I haven't OC'ed the CPU, only the vidcard. Even tho I am running an x38 I never was fond of OC'ing cpu's. Often too tedious. I really stacked up oc'en back with the ti4400 (guess the pic is still around here somewhere)....

Anyhoo.. I can only reemphasize that PSU ratings having become a rather windy subject these days. So don't go rush off for a new 600-800 watt PSU unless you got yourself some instability already.

Cheers, Flix

Back