Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Storage
Storage SSDs, HDDs, CD/DVD/Bluray
Forum Jump

Raid vs dedicated drive for games, OS, etc?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 04-10-09, 10:36 PM Thread Starter   #1
bonefish5
Registered

Raid vs dedicated drive for games, OS, etc?

Ok I thought I saw an opinion on this way back sometime ago, but can't locate it.

Currently I am running a raid 0 setup thinking it would improve my speed. I have become more concerned with some security so I have attached a NAS system to my network which includes a raid configuration so my data is backed up with a mirror copy for safety.

On to my question: Is setting up multiple drives with the OS on one, games on another and other apps on another a stupid idea? I'm getting ready to blast my system and reinstall the OS. So I thought I might try something different. Opinions? positve or negative...

Thanks
Mark
bonefish5 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-10-09, 11:32 PM   #2
tuskenraider

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefish5 View Post
On to my question: Is setting up multiple drives with the OS on one, games on another and other apps on another a stupid idea? I'm getting ready to blast my system and reinstall the OS. So I thought I might try something different. Opinions? positve or negative...

Thanks
Mark
I've broken up two 2-drive RAID0 arrays in the past to test such a setup and never found a benefit vs. everything on a single drive or compared to the RAID0 arrays. To say it another way, while I haven't seen an improvement in everything I do with a RAID0 array, and even some of the improvements are very small, I've never timed a quicker response with a single or two seperated OS/app drives in any type of usage.

heat
tuskenraider is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-11-09, 12:04 AM   #3
Mr.Guvernment

10 Year Badge

raid 0 may make some games load faster,. other then that they offer no performance games once a game is running.

i say just use the 2 seperate drives, i have done it all, raid, single, games on OS drive and with drives these days being good, i now run my Steam games from my OS drive and things load just as fast as they did on a seperate drive and not much slower then when i had raid 0, but now i dont have the worry of data lose as bad as before.

,`, Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part ,`,
,`, The trouble with life is theres no background music ,`,
,`, Life isnt short, you're just dead for too long,`,

Mr.Guvernment is offline Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-07-10, 08:53 AM   #4
Kreel

so, according to your words single HDDs setup is more reliable then running on RAID? So what about performance with office applications and network file sharing? Does it work faster in RAID when someone download something from this hdds?
Kreel is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-07-10, 09:16 AM   #5
Coreyoliseffect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreel View Post
so, according to your words single HDDs setup is more reliable then running on RAID? So what about performance with office applications and network file sharing? Does it work faster in RAID when someone download something from this hdds?
The thought behind a single drive being more reliable is that there is only one weak spot. With RAID you have more drives which means that there is more possibility of one of those drives failing and taking the entire setup with it. Thought it is faster to have a RAID setup. Programs that are being used from your computer will load faster if they are stored on a RAID. As far off of the network there are many factors that play in but if you set all of those aside once the info gets to your HDDs they will read/write the information faster. To answer your questions outright: yes, faster, yes.

G. Skill Ripjaw 2GB | OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 4X2GB | 3GB DDR2
OCV Vertex 120GB | Segate Barracuda 1TBX2 R0+1 | Hitachi 160GB X2
2 Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | ASUS EAH5870 V2 | NVidia GeForce 8600M GT
MSI Twin Frozor II 6950 | NVidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ | 9 Cell Battery
Antec 650W PSU | Cooler Master UPC 700W | Perpetually Plugged In
Stock Cooling | 5 Blue 120mm Case Fans |
WC Coming Soon | Swiftech 360 with 3 UHS Panaflos |
Articles: Ubuntu Tweak | Got Home Brew? | HWBot | HEATWARE | In The Begining
| 91 Honda Civic
Coreyoliseffect is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-07-10, 09:23 AM   #6
Headstand

You can have your cake and eat it too. Look at RAID 1+0(10), or 0+1(01). Also, raid 100, 50, 60, even just RAID 5 or 6.

I personally will RAID0 for load times on the OS drive(s). I then RAID1 my files on the storage drive(s). In addition, I have a NAS which copies the storage drive(s). I don't care if the OS drive bites it, I put all the backups for the OS drive on the storage drive.

GTX460 768MB
GT240N 1GB
H50 push-pull
2 x 2GB G.SKILL Trident DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)
60GB OCZ Agility
1 x WD 500 AAKS
2 x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATAIII - RAID1
4 x WD Caviar Green 1.5TB
HEAT
Headstand is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-08-10, 02:43 AM   #7
Kreel

Thank you!

I think that ill do the following/ I will run 2 hdds in raid, and 1 single for data backup)))

Old 06-08-10, 12:54 PM   #8
ChanceCoats123
d20 in a jacket

^^^ Technically, Raid 0 is not Raid. Raid is Redundant Array of Inexpensive/independant Disks. The whole point of actual Raid is Data security and backup. But with a Raid 0 setup, the drives are mirrored and you get no redundancy. So technically, running all your data off a single depends on that drive for reliability, where as Raid 0 has to count on both drives working.

ChanceCoats123 is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-09-10, 02:20 AM   #9
Kreel

As for me performance is a main target))) so ill put applications, games and OS onto RAID drives. distribs and other valuable data to a single drive.

Old 06-09-10, 10:31 PM   #10
CompuTamer
Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name

I put my OS and large programs that i use a lot (Adobe Suite, Office Suite, conversion programs, ect) onto my fastest drive. (SSD). Then my games go onto the next fastest drive (That 5 year old 250GB drive... faster than my 320) and then Media (Music, videos, pictures, installers, ect) onto the slowest/largest drive.
I've honestly found this to work better than a RAID of two 320's... idk why, but that RAID was just SLOW at loading some games, and boot times weren't improved much. Loading Crysis off of one drive is faster than my RAID was for some reason, so i just run it like this.

I think i really screwed up that RAID though too, so don't take my word for it haha

8 GB G-Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 @ 1.65 Volts ...........................................8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM
60GB OCZ Solid 3 + 320GB WD Blue+ 1TB WD Green...............................Samsung 250GB SSD
Antec 900.................................................. .......................................All Metal Body
BFG GS-650.................................................. .....................................Lenovo Power Brick + 54Whr Battery
XFX Radeon HD 4850 (660/1060 53C Idle 62C Load) @ 1.31 vCore............Intel HD4400
Dual Dell E2311H LED 1920x1080.................................................. .......13.6" 3200x1800 Touchscreen
Windows 7 Ultimate.................................................. ..........................Windows 8.1
Those specs up there? They're silent. Silence is good. Very good.
Your Core 2 Quad is based off of the Pentium pro in a few ways.
CompuTamer is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-10-10, 07:04 AM   #11
thor17usa

I'd go with RAID 0 if you are backing up data to another location on a regular basic. The speed increase my not be dramatic, but it is there. If you dropped in twin Raptors, then you would really see it fly. Even a single 600GB Raptor is pretty fast. I've done both the single drive setups and RAID 0, but settled on RAID 0 since I do video editing.

As long as you have good drives for your RAID setup you should see a speed boost in RAID 0.

Main Rig: Intel i7-4770K, 16GB DDR3-1600, Samsung Pro 840 256GB (OS, Programs, Best Games), 300GB WD Raptor - Games, 2x 1TB WD Black, NVidia GTX 770 - 4GB Overclocked, 750W PSU, Corsair 600T, Corsair H100i Water cooler, Nvidia Surround Dell 2311H IPS Monitors
Server: Synology 1812+ with 8x 2TB Hitachi drives in SHR (12.5 TB usable)
Mobile Work: Macbook Pro Retina Display, i7 2.3GHz, 8GB, 256GB SSD, Nvidia GeForce GT 650M, Mavericks

Heatware
thor17usa is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-10-10, 07:23 AM   #12
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front
Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headstand View Post
Also, raid 100, 50, 60, even just RAID 5 or 6.
What is RAID 100, 50, and 60????

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon
EarthDog is online now Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-10-10, 07:43 AM   #13
Joeteck
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headstand View Post

I personally will RAID0 for load times on the OS drive(s).

I agree with you. My RAID 0 boots rather fast, considering its two 300 gig Vraptors, short stroked @ 30 gig each.

Not too bad; 5.3ms access time! 252MB/s Average read!
Attached Images

Joeteck is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Storage
Storage SSDs, HDDs, CD/DVD/Bluray