• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom Case and a few questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

x30Jx

So I am thinking hard about building my own custom case, heavily inspired by Navig's Water Cooled Framer Project aka "The Exoframe" ( http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=597792 ).

I ahd just a few questions for the general population.

Answer : Is it better to have your motherboard standing vertical, or laying horizontal?

Comment : Case interior dimensions : 16" tall x 16" deep x 12" wide. Made of 3/4" aluminum tubing. Black or black tinted acrylic panels dropped into the frame (much like Navig's final product). Motherboard floating vertical 8" from the top. PSU, HDD, ODD (possibly watercooling pumps + rezes) below Mobo, and not but the motherboard above.

Answer\Discuss : Is it better \ possible to have rads pushing air out the bottom of the case?

More questions may be added later, so stay tuned and thank everyone who can offer and advice.

Thanks again
Joe

To me, intake fans instead of exhaust fans on the rad would be better for cooling because you want cool fresh air being blown across the rad, not the hotter air from the case.

Being horizontal is faster for parts change out and is really personal preference and I would go with how the case would look and how it fits into the overall design aspect of it being that it a custom.

I realize that I may sound teh n00b but is a 12" interior width enough for an ATX board? (Width way, remember.)
I know they are the same but will it be at all possible to install? I plan to make the actual motherboard tray from acrylic much like Navig's and float it, so they will be the exact same width.

Depends if you want your powersupply next to it or not. Your best bet is to just measure the parts on your computer you have now.

Many mock ups are part of the fabbing process. Try to draw it out to visualize it and plan it out.

Back