• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Final Fantasy III/IV DS - Worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shadin

So I'm making my way through the early Final Fantasy games (I had only played the original NES FF1). I've got the first and second games on PSP, and see that I can play IV, V, and VI via GBA remakes or PSX.

Are the DS remakes worth playing through as a first time experience? I've toyed with the idea of getting a DS for awhile, if these are vastly superior to the GBA or PSX versions then I might bite the bullet. If not then I'll be giving up playing III I suppose.

If you are clever you can get FFVII working on a psp... dont ask me how coz my answer would be illegal... my friend has a psp and he showed me it playing FFVII and it looks awesome!!! Plus its a really good one to play, twas my first... and im currently playing through it again on my laptop which is hooked up to my 50" tv!! woooooooooooo!!

FFIII for the DS is quite good, also challenging and i havnt tried FFIV so cant comment...

BOY did I hate Final Fantasy III on the DS!

Probably the most annoying RPG I've ever played before.

You should see if they have one of the Final Fantasy Tactics for the DS. Once I tried War of the Lions for the PSP, I SOLD my copy of Final Fantasy III for the DS.

...didn't even need the money: I just didn't want it in my house anymore.

I asked my son his opinion because he has the DS and both games. He loved FF IV. An excellent game. He is in FF3 and finds the game more than decent but at the moment he is stuck.

I'd say as a first time experience they're fine, but they just don't add up to the originals IMO. If you can, track down a copy of the originals. (Probably can't for III, as it was never actually released in the US. Our III back on the SNES was FF VI in Japan, as our II was IV)

and I loved FFVII, was my first foray into FF, and I have been hooked ever since.

I'd say as a first time experience they're fine, but they just don't add up to the originals IMO. If you can, track down a copy of the originals. (Probably can't for III, as it was never actually released in the US. Our III back on the SNES was FF VI in Japan, as our II was IV)

and I loved FFVII, was my first foray into FF, and I have been hooked ever since.

+1, they made the DS versions really kiddy and altered the storyline as well. The originals were far better.

I asked my son his opinion because he has the DS and both games. He loved FF IV. An excellent game. He is in FF3 and finds the game more than decent but at the moment he is stuck.

It's easy to get stuck in III: You reach a point where you just don't CARE about it anymore. You don't care about the story, you don't care about the characters because they have no individuality... you don't care about any of it.

So you just end up wandering around mazes fighting random monsters. Eventually you've gotta change your wizard into a ninja, then maybe a Timekeeper, then back into a Mage/Fighter and you forget who your best night was because you've got three mages now... and you eventually stop playing because the whole thing is stupid.

I'm starting to get the same impression elsewhere, as well. I think I just won't worry about III since I don't speak Japanese and I'll play IV, V, and VI from the GBA or PSX ports.

I had fun w/ IV for a while, but i dont suggest it for someone that's obsessed w/ getting the perfect party w/ max stats, im that type of player and after a while i didnt enjoy the game. I cant just play through and enjoy it :(

A DS is definitely worth it. Looking for good old school RPGs, Final Fantasy VI Advance for the GBA is great, as is the new DS remake of Chrono Trigger.

Back