• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Combining WoW and FPS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flixotide

I used to play BF2 quite a bit, and currently got my WoW skills nicely working, but seem to miss out on the old BF2 action. I mostly play WoW due the questing, levelling and building professions, for PvP action BF2 still takes the dollar.

So, can't help wondering, if there are any games, that try to bridge the two genres. BF2 had a few points going for it equipment-wise, but well, it was extremely limited. Are there any FPS games out there with more level/rank/equipment concept?

Cheers, Flix

I used to play BF2 quite a bit, and currently got my WoW skills nicely working, but seem to miss out on the old BF2 action. I mostly play WoW due the questing, levelling and building professions, for PvP action BF2 still takes the dollar.

So, can't help wondering, if there are any games, that try to bridge the two genres. BF2 had a few points going for it equipment-wise, but well, it was extremely limited. Are there any FPS games out there with more level/rank/equipment concept?

Cheers, Flix

only one that comes to my mind is warrock

There aren't any real MMO FPSs out. Huxley was a good concept, but it's been in development for a long time with minimal progress being shown.

World of battlefieldcraft.

You can be an Orc and wield the mighty M16 of Ragnoth. It fires enchanted 5.56mm dragonslayer rounds that are empowered with the wrath of Krandor.

planetside and i'm pretty sure it's still going they just had a free weekend or something.

Was a good game i played it when it came out for about 6 months.
but it's the only one i can think of that is mmorpg shooter.

Planetside is still alive, but it's glory days were way back in 2003. It doesn't have quests though. All the people in the game are real people.

Call of Duty 4 & L4D both have RPG elements you might enjoy, along with fantastic action.

Planetside is the only thing I can think of. Tabula rasa kind of sort of did that I thought, but then again Tabula Rasa is now dead. Savage and natural section integrate elements of RTS with FPS which is neat although less people in a match then in an mmo

Savage 2 is a combination of FPS, Action and RTS. The 'action' part is kind of action rpg'ish but more focused toward action, like, it's a lot more based on the person's skill than gear/class. But it's strictly a competitive multiplayer game, there's no MMORPG-style questing/grinding and no single player 'story mode'. Still, it's one of the best competitive multiplayer games made so far. Funny thing is it's also free. Independent developers > 'big hit' overhyped games, save a very few exceptions.

I thought I heard that Tabula Rasa went down permanently.
Yeah, I believe they pulled the plug earlier this year.

I would say keep an eye on Borderlands, it is due out later this year. It's not an MMO, but it is an RPG that you can play co-op with up to 4 people in your party. They are calling it "Diablo with guns" and all the loot is procedurally generated with over 500,000 different combinations that can be generated. It looks like an interesting merging of the FPS and RPG genres.

Yeah, I believe they pulled the plug earlier this year.

I would say keep an eye on Borderlands, it is due out later this year. It's not an MMO, but it is an RPG that you can play co-op with up to 4 people in your party. They are calling it "Diablo with guns" and all the loot is procedurally generated with over 500,000 different combinations that can be generated. It looks like an interesting merging of the FPS and RPG genres.

You mean like Hellgate, except without the massive fail?

Back