• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silver Plating

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MongGrel

One thing I had thought of recently just meandering amongst the forums and various things.

What if you where to take a Sunbeam or True cooler and silver plate it ?

Seems would be doable, wonder how that would affect one :)

We actually had a guy at work and used to be set up a few years back for the electro-plating method, the application we were using it for has ceased to exist. Fiber optical took over that particular program.

Cyanide pretty nasty stuff overall to mess with heh, it was done in a controlled environment.

Wish we had it still I'd have him chuck my cooler in there :)

Not sure its possible with aluminum to begin with would have to look that one up. The copper pipes wouldn't be a problem.

http://www.finishing.com/faqs/silverathome.html

*DO NOT PLEASE EVEN ATTEMPT THIS AT HOME BTW EXTREMELY DANGEROUS*

Ah frig just read my own link cant do with aluminum it looks.

We used to silver coat over copper only for a select application, about as far as I can go there me thinks.

Gonna ponder a bit more before deleteing it :)

Hmm....

http://www.finishing.com/384/56.shtml

Hmm more...... ok Ill stop for a bit.

They wouldn't be made out of 6061 though.

Last edited:
The TRUE black edition or whatever its called is plated I think, so it does sound possible.

The silver plating would be more useful in a water application, as the silver ions have some sort of biocidic effect - a quick search referenced this so you may want to look into it further. Theres more on this at xtremesystems.

Appearance wise, it'd likely look nice but I'm not so sure how quickly it'd tarnish.

Performance wise, it won't help anything.

I think the true's are anodized not plated though.

Yeah tarnishing I had been considering also, probably not a good idea overall. Unless it had a coating over the silver, which would fudge any reason to try it to begin with.

It would look pretty sweet though that way if didn't affect performance, kinda like chroming a Harley :)

Last edited:
Back