• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Large temperature gradient acrocc cores

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TomTom

Hello everyone,

I'm a new member to the forum and a relatively new person to overclocking. I recently built a new rig with a q8200 ( I know bad choice but I am new to this). I've been working on OCing this chip but the only thing that is holding me back is my cores temps.

Right now I am at 400MHz FSB (2.8GHz) and the hottest core it at 70C after 24 hours of Prime95 even after I minimized voltages. The odd thing though is that my cores temps vary by 15C or so core to core.

Idle Temps:
C0 - 51
C1 - 29
C2 - 50
C3 - 43

Load Temps:
C0 - 70
C1 - 53
C2 - 66
C3 - 60

My case is a COOLER MASTER ELITE 335 with two more 120mm fans in it for a total of 3. I also just installed a Thermaltake CL-P0114 120mm Big Typhoon CPU Cooler which did significantly lower my temps as opposed to the stock HSF but they are still very uneven as shown above.

Has anyone run into this situation before, do I just have a bad chip?

Thanks in advance!

This is kinda Common . You can check if your IHS is flat with some Ketchup and some glass . Or a Razor blade and a flash light .

Posting times get screwed up?

You can tape some sand paper to a flat surface such as a desk or scrap piece of glass and make even back and fourth motions with your processor to sand it all down and make it flat. For some better instructions just search for a CPU lapping guide.

Posting times get screwed up?

You can tape some sand paper to a flat surface such as a desk or scrap piece of glass and make even back and fourth motions with your processor to sand it all down and make it flat. For some better instructions just search for a CPU lapping guide.

I replied to his comnet and it went above his .. IDK why

Nope this is common and no amount of lapping would resolve that issue, but feel free to do it for another couple C temp drops.

OK, ive seen the lapping done before so im pretty confident I can do that. But, will Intel replace this unit because the one core is soo hot. It stays hot even under stock settings and I'm worried about the longevity of the chip.

OK, ive seen the lapping done before so im pretty confident I can do that. But, will Intel replace this unit because the one core is soo hot. It stays hot even under stock settings and I'm worried about the longevity of the chip.

Intel will not replace it just because the cpu temp program says its hot or there is huge difference between the cores, because that method of reading cpu temp using program is never supported "officially' by Intel.

As long its working "at stock" speed, the cpu is considered fine.

Last edited:
Back