• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5600 - 6000 upgrade, woe or worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djlst

Registered
Hey guys,
I'm currently planning some upgrades for my folks pc and am probably going to go with the same CPU as mine (in my sig) a 6000 or a 7750 all within a few dollars.

I was thinking of maybe grabbing the 6000 and throwing it in my rig and giving them my 5600.

My 5600 oc is in my sig and research tells me the 6000 gets to 3.3-3.5ghz which isnt much more.

I'm pretty sure my folks will just let me do the swap otherwise they wouldn't charge me much more than $20 which i'm happy to pay for the extra oc'ing experience and ever so slight performance increase.

And finally the questions,

My worry is my psu wont handle the 6000 especially oc'd will it suffice?

And also, the 5600 is hitting mid 50's under load in Aussie summer heat with my current oc, will I be able to oc the 6000 to 3.4ish with my current air cooler??

Thanks for any help guys

Last edited:
"free" megahertz is always worth it in my mind. I doubt your temps will up much at all.

The extra cpu speed is coming from a more mature manufacturing process not more volts I would assume.

89w 5600 vs 125w 6000. Not sure if there is a volt difference or how that works or if watts increase with oc'ing.

I totally would get the 7750 for myself but unfortunately my mb doesn't support it.

Msi K9n platinum doesn't support it? What is the part number on that mobo?

Edit: just checked. I was confused with the K9N2 Platinum. That indeed does suck though... In that case, I say get another 5600+ and a good cooler, then oc' it for them.

Just found a 3mth old 6400 on ebay for less.... might go that.
They can have my 5600 for $20ish less than the total ebay cost and I'm happy.

Brizzy to brizzy I don't think you will see much difference in top clocks unless your HTT is the limiting factor if you go windzer it might make a difference.
windzer.JPG
Otherwise stay with what you have.

Archer, those are windsors, but you get the point. Although brizzies are much cheaper.

UHHH??? yeah? A little better clock for clock but you can get a higher clock from a Brizzy. What I was saying was that it is not worth the upgrade unless the OC is limited by HTT and over 3.35 is the max norm so I see no need to UG unless the OP goes with a winzer but 3.2 is close to max and they are hot. personally I say keep what you have and buy a newer Mobo.

Lol, a new mobo is iminent as his current one is only am2. Not that the board isn't bad for an athlon x2 which only needs that, but having the ability to go to a Phenom I or II is always nice. And new thingas are cool too :beer:.

AHHHH the smell of a new build and I have had a new mobo for two weeks an not touched it???? BAD ARCHER.

Here is the support list from the msi website....
http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodcpu2&prod_no=251&maincat_no=1#menu

Just realised there are 89w and 125w versions of the 6000 too.

Edit: So you don't think its worth paying a few dollars to get the 6000 for myself, oc that, and give them the 5600 which they have no need to oc?
IIRC 89W = Brisbane; 125W = Windsor.
The Brisbane has 2x 512 Kb L2 and runs cooler, the Windsor 2x 1Mb L2 and (IMO) is the better CPU. If you think heat might be an issue you should probably stick with the Brisbane ...

From what I've seen, high-end Windsors have a higher clock wall than high-end Brisbanes... not much... but more people have a harder time getting their Brisbanes to hit 3.4-3.5 than do people with Windsors...

Factor in the lower cache... and if you're absolutely stuck with an AM2 socket (not AM2+), a 6400BE (or locked 6400+... not an issue in older boards...as many don't have a multiplier higher than 16 anyway) is the best possible solution.

Biggest downfall is heat output... clock it high enough with enough voltage, and it has the extra bonus of being a space heater...

djlst... you have fans on that HR-01...if not get a couple of 120s on it and you should be good for a 6000+ or higher Windsor...

I would be concerned about the power supply... even with a 90 watt proc... a 125 would definately be pushing the limits...

Thanks for all the responses guys!
i snapped up the 6400 from ebay which I will keep and my folks can have the 5600.

As for the mb, seeing how its my folks new build that they are paying for, I feel they should have the new board, probably am2+ so they can upgrade in the future at less cost.

As for the HR-01 I have the s clip so it faces the back of the case not up down and the duct accessory. There is one 90cfm coolermaster fan at the front of the cooler and another at the end of the duct/back of the case.
They are on a fan controller and never run at full speed, to noisy. Usually 1500rpm on full load. Will get some noctuas one day.

As for the PSU, my own next build is going to need more juice for sure so I'm looking into a Corsair HX-620 in the near future. Also getting a little sick of the short cables on my current antec.

Hopefully the PSU will hold out for a little longer. Ill just be careful and maybe hold off on ocing the 6400 I guess.

Have you lapped that HR-01? I lapped mine and it helped with the temps a bit!

Back