• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'd Opteron 165 vs FX-60 (stock speed)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dusnoetos

I am sure this has been asked before....but my curiosity has been peeked...

OK the the FX-60 runs at 2600MHz with 2x 1MB L2 cache
My Opteron 165 is Overclocked to 2615MHz with 2x L2 cache

is the performance equal??

(isn't the fx-60 a re-badged Opteron with a unlocked multiplier anyway??)

Still wish I got my hands on a Opty 185 when I had the chance....

They are about the same, yes. But if the whole system is OCed, meaning ram OCed with the CPU, then the Opteron system wins out.

Yeah, it's pretty much even. The Opteron might be a tiny bit faster, since your RAM is probably running overclocked. And they are all made from the same cores.

The higher multiplier of the 185 would certainly have been easier to deal with, but as long as your board can handle the high bus speeds, there's nothing wrong with the 165. All those chips can clock to about the same levels, it just depends on the stepping of the chip and the capabilities of the motherboard, rather than the model number and multiplier.

To answer the question - given the same CPU, RAM, and HT link speeds: Opty 165 to Opty 185 = FX-60 = 4400/4800+

They're all the same core design (including L2 size) just different QC standards ...

Back