• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stock i7 Temps w/True

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Huserx

Hello all,

So I have some questions about my cooling results in my new build which I think may be a bit high.

I asked for alot of advice from ocforums on some of the components I chose in this build so thank you again.

Case: Antec 300
----Fan Grills removed
----Stock fans removed
----2 Front Intake fans Nexus 120mm Real Silent fans w/rubber mounts
----1 Rear Exhaust fan Nexus 120mm Real Silent fan w/rubber mounts
----Case insulated with Accoustipack
--------Covers both side panels (Including Side fan vent)
--------Covers bottom panel up to drive cage
--------Covers top panel but not top 140mm vent (which has no fan on it)

Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe V2

Processor: i7 920

Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

Video Card: EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB

Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX

Hard Drives: 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB Raid 1

DVD ROM: SAMSUNG SH-S223Q

A last minute decision, hate it already, should have stuck with XP ;-p but maybe it'll grow on me.

So I have the 2 Hard Drives installed where each is sort of centered on the front case fans.

I have the GTX in the primary PCIe slot. I have the DVD rom in the center 5 1/4 bay

CPU Heatsink: TRUE 1366 RT
----Not Lapped
----Replaced stock fan with a Nexus 120mm Real Silent fan prior to building.
----Fan is positioned to push through the heatsink to the rear exhaust case fan.

Thermalright Stock fan Info:
----Rated Speed: 1600RPM
----Noise Level: 28.0 dBA
----Air Flow: 63.7CFM

Nexus 120mm Fan Info:
----Rotation Speed 1000 RPM
----Acoustic Noise 22.8 dB(A)
----Airflow 36.87 CFM

Originally I was getting idle temps in the low 40's and load temps with Prime95 around 65c-68c and I think my ambient is/was about 25c (guessing).

So I did the washer mod and I get idle temps in the upper 30's and load temps with prime95 around 60c-65c again I think the ambient is/was about 25c (guessing).

I have been reading around though it's hard to find stock temps for those with a TRUE as most are OC'd. But it seems to me that these are still high for stock with a TRUE, that these are the kind of temps people with low overclocks are seeing.

So my questions are:

1) Are these temps high for stock w/ a True?

2) Could it be the fan is not pushing enough cfm?
( I may swap the stock fan in and see what results I get)

3) Could it be I need to lap the true, though I don't have the tools and knowledge how to properly do so.
(No I will not sand the processor)

4) Other thougths or suggestions...

A) As a side question should I ever decide to even attempt a low OC is it possible with the ram I chose?

I know its a lengthy bit of detail and probably more than necessary.. But thanks for taking the time to read and reply if you so choose. :)

Thanks again.

With your ambient temps that high my guess is your load max temps are in the ball park but slightly higher than they might be at stock CPU speeds and voltages. You'll drop several degrees if you lap your TRUE properly. You'll drop 1-2 degrees more if you add a pull fan or at least go to a more powerful one. Are you picky about noise?

Put another fan on the TRUE in a push/pull fashion (makes a difference of a few degrees) and also you may want to reposition the TRUE so that it is facing the other way (so it is blowing out the top as I think the antec 300 has an exhaust in the top of case). I did this to mine and it seemed to get a better bite on the cpu heatsink and the temps went down a few more degrees.

To me, lapping is done as a sort of last resort to get just that last little bit contact needed to drop the last few degrees that it's going to let you.

I've had all types of issues cooling my i7. Contact on the IHS is not the best with the Fuzion V2 or the TRUE which have flat or relatively flat bases. I'm not convinced in any way that lapping HS or IHS to get better temperatures with i7 is the way to go.

The GTZ and the EK supreme with the build in convex surface seem to really do the trick.

Last edited:
Are you picky about noise?

Yes.. well at least the wife is so one of my goals was to build a quiet pc.
It is very quiet compared to my previous pc.

Ok so far the reccomendations are
A faster fan
A push pull setup
Turn the True to exhaust out of the top vent.
Lapping (1 for 1 against)

Trying to build a near silent pc with the hottest running cpu available today is probably not gonna be an attainable goal. My system is kinda quiet when my x2 is at 40% with the addition of the second fan on the TRUE. You could also invest in a fan controller and then your loudness level can be adjusted on the fly (for when the little woman isn't near the pc lol).

To answer the side question about the ram; It is all about the memory multi. take it to x6 and see how far it will go. Make sure you change the memory voltages to 1.65v or 1.66v in your bios though before you try to oc them. The memory you have should be able to do it.

I've had all types of issues cooling my i7. Contact on the IHS is not the best with the Fuzion V2 or the TRUE which have flat or relatively flat bases. I'm not convinced in any way that lapping HS or IHS to get better temperatures with i7 is the way to go.

The GTX and the EK supreme with the build in convex surface seem to really do the trick.

I got the EK Supreme and a Cheap thermaltake water kit (Yes I am upgrading..eventually) and get load temps of 74C with 24 ambient.

You have a better chip than me my friend. @22degC. ambient and an OC of [email protected] I'm seening 75 degrees under load with small ffts. Both the EK supreme and GTZ give the same results.
The V2 was the best for my 775 setup, but I see over 85degC with the V2 on my 920 at the settings above. That 1366 bracket was a waste of money, as I switched right back to the GTZ as soon as I saw the results.

Trying to build a near silent pc with the hottest running cpu available today is probably not gonna be an attainable goal. ....

You could also invest in a fan controller and then your loudness level can be adjusted on the fly (for when the little woman isn't near the pc lol).

As for point 1 I beg to differ, this system is very, very quiet I cannot hear it at all except for an occasion seek from the drives.

Although yes I conceed it may get louder if I double up the HS fan or put a louder fan on the HS. but at the moment it is one quiet machine.

As for the controller I got one of those, didnt install it though b/c even at full speed those fans didn't need it and I also can control the speeds of the fans through the bios if need be.

Last edited:
i just got my true yesterday and saw my temp drop alot from stock of 80C load down to 56C load. I didn't even lap my true which i read that it will help but I'm happy with 56C so guess i dont' need to lap it. Oh yea I OC my to 4ghz right now and running prime 95 for couples hour so far so good.

Are you running an i7? I can't speak for everyone, but for an i7 @ 4GHz, 56degC on air is unheard of. That's a great temperature for an E0 Q9550 at 4GHz even.

Ambient, monitoring program, stepping?
Thx.

Are you running an i7? I can't speak for everyone, but for an i7 @ 4GHz, 56degC on air is unheard of. That's a great temperature for an E0 Q9550 at 4GHz even.

Thx.

That would be good for water at 4ghz, well, i'd be happy with it at 100% load.

Well, that's what I'm saying. At ambient of 22degC, I have trouble keeping core temperatures below 75degC on small ffts with the loop in my sig and I'm happy with THAT.

My core voltage at 4GHz is 1.4v.

i just got my true yesterday and saw my temp drop alot from stock of 80C load down to 56C load. I didn't even lap my true which i read that it will help but I'm happy with 56C so guess i dont' need to lap it. Oh yea I OC my to 4ghz right now and running prime 95 for couples hour so far so good.

Thx.

I am betting your reading the temperature at the cpu socket from a standard monitoring software program. That said, 80c at the socket would almost surely put them into the 100+ range where they shut down so maybe I am off base there.

Real Temp or Core Temp are two programs that I know of that read the core's temperatures. Could you do me the favor of installing one or the other and letting me know what they read out?

yes my temp is at 56c on air and i got the temp from real temp 3.00. Cause I check with speedfan it is 15c less, so it really dont' seem right lol. Ide at 19c lol on speedfan. Went up to 57c after 5 hours of prime 95. maybe i got a good heatsink. That y i say go for a TRUE, it a good heatsink. My temp with stock hs is 80+c around 85c load and 40c idle.

I got low temp maybe cause of good hs or good cpu cause at 4ghz i only use 1.365v and cpuz show only 1.296v(i kno can't trust cpuz). for ur 75c load temp is ur HT off or on? cause my is off. with HT on it will be hotter cause when u do prime it run 8 test at once.

Well, that's what I'm saying. At ambient of 22degC, I have trouble keeping core temperatures below 75degC on small ffts with the loop in my sig and I'm happy with THAT.

My core voltage at 4GHz is 1.4v.

What's the S-Spec on that chip(on the box)? Ie: What stepping is it? It will be a SLBCH (C0) or SLBEJ (D0). I've never seen a C0 do that, so naturally I'm curious.

Can you post a screen capture of CPUZ and RealTemp with the settings tab open? I'd like to see what's going on there.

Thx.

I got low temp maybe cause of good hs or good cpu cause at 4ghz i only use 1.365v and cpuz show only 1.296v(i kno can't trust cpuz). for ur 75c load temp is ur HT off or on? cause my is off. with HT on it will be hotter cause when u do prime it run 8 test at once.

On of course, I fold. Check sig.
And you having HT off may explain things, I wouldn't know since I've never had it disabled.
And yes, your voltage is quite low for 4GHz. I like it. How long have you stress tested? Are you finding it stable?

Last edited:
It's ok I was just curious to see your settings and such. Not a biggie.

But for posting pictures, you can use Image Shack or Photo Bucket to host the pictures, then just copy and paste the picture link from there in your post here. You just need to register with one of those two sites b4 you can use them to host your pictures.
Once you host a picture you can post a direct link, forum size picture, or full size picture depending on the situation.

Example: http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1102/hyperx1000mhz999242t.png

Or a forum size picture:

Or a fullsize picture:

hyperx1000mhz999242t.png

Or you can create a custom link by typing text, highlighting it and using the URL button above like so: My New RAM

Last edited:
Back