• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about replacing capacitors....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madhatter256

Special Member
I'm having a hard time locating this specific type of capacitor.

The ratings on it are: 10volt and 1000uF.

The ones I have available are 16volt 1000uF. Will I be ok replacing those capacitors with the 16volt variant? Obviously, the 10volts are swollen and leaking.

It SHOULD be fine (not sure), because the capacitance is the same, and the voltage rating is the maximum voltage (C = q/V).

I will tell you for sure in 4 years after I finish my computer/electrical engineering degree :).

Will I be ok replacing those capacitors with the 16volt variant?

Electrically they'll work fine, it's never a problem to go up a level or two on the voltage rating. The only potential problem you might encounter is that the 16V ones are going to be physically bigger than the 10V ones. It won't be a huge difference, though, so unless you have a really tight space, you should be able to fit 'em in.

just buy the ones that came w ur system they cost like 40 cents

If he already has the 16V ones available, and there's room to fit 'em onto the board, there's absolutely no reason not to use them. Why spend money on different parts when you could just as easily not spend money by using the parts you already have?

ah good luck then :).

We only get to pick specialization after the first year, and electrical and computer have the same second year, so I don't need to decide between electrical and computer before my third year.

Back