• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

quick question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

carbinered

Registered
hey guys i need to find out if mycomputer is turning off becuase of overheating...so i decided to buy a new heatsink....so is it okay for me to try the OEM heatsink with fresh thermal paste to see if my computer turns off (if it does i will have to return the new HS and see what the problem really is) and then take off the OEM heatsink and put on the New one (if it does fix the problem)..will i have to apply more thermal paste?

hey guys i need to find out if mycomputer is turning off becuase of overheating...so i decided to buy a new heatsink....so is it okay for me to try the OEM heatsink with fresh thermal paste to see if my computer turns off (if it does i will have to return the new HS and see what the problem really is) and then take off the OEM heatsink and put on the New one (if it does fix the problem)..will i have to apply more thermal paste?

Whenever you install a heatsink it should be cleaned of all existing thermal paste and new installed.

Some would say to remove the paste from a new HS, and replace it with something better, like AS5 or my favorite Shin Etsu X32-7783D

Basic question, but is it overclocked? And have you checked your temps in BIOS or through software in windows? If so what are your temps reading?

If its the stock HS you'll problerly find that one of th push pins has come out. If you dont want to OC just puch that back in and save some dosh. :D

Whenever you install a heatsink it should be cleaned of all existing thermal paste and new installed.

Some would say to remove the paste from a new HS, and replace it with something better, like AS5 or my favorite Shin Etsu X32-7783D

Thanks...yea i have AS5 coming in the mail....do i also take the thermal paste off of the top of the cpu? And whats the best way to take off thermal paste? i know for a fact that my new heatsink does come with pre applied thermal paste..and no i am not overclocked.

You want to totally remove all traces of the previous thermal paste application before applying again, or mounting a new heatsink w. pre-applied paste. Use isopropyl alcohol and a lint-free material, like coffee filter paper.

You want to totally remove all traces of the previous thermal paste application before applying again, or mounting a new heatsink w. pre-applied paste. Use isopropyl alcohol and a lint-free material, like coffee filter paper.

okay thanks ill let everyone know how it goes. how much thermal paste should i use?

you wont want much at all! just a drop, I try to also spread it on the heatsink in a thin layer with somthing clean to get a real nice even coat so exess wont drip on the circuts.

Follow the instructions HERE for thermal paste application methods. If your new cooler has paste pre-applied, you can do 1 of 2 things:
1-> clean the cpu and just use the cooler with the pre-applied paste. Do not add any additional paste.
2-> clean the cpu AND remove the pre-applied paste from the cooler using the sam method. Follow the AS5 application instructions linked above.

Back