• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual loops or 18W pump mod?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dealmaster

Hey guys, I wanted to get your opinion regarding my loop. I was considering adding another pump/res (MCP350 or 355 and XSPC res top) to my setup and doing a CPU loop and a GPU/NB loop, but wanted to see what you guys thought. Do you think if I modded my MCP350 to 18W doing the solder mod (mine has the blue impeller and can do this) would give me a performance increase or would I see better results by going with a dual loop? I know that dual loops are probably going to perform better period, but I wonder if it's worth it in your mind. Any advice/etc would be great.

so you want to see if doing the mod will get better temps on your current setup? it should and won't cost anything to try.

Just modding your pump to 18v, or adding a second pump, should not improve your temps much - if at all. In fact, your pump(s) would be adding more heat to the loop than they do now.

Looking at your gear, I think your best option is to split your CPU and GPU's into separate loops. Temp is much more critical on the CPU side, and your GPU's are probably kicking out the majority of the heat. If you're looking to make an improvement, that is what I'd do.

I'm not convinced more flow will help. This sounds just like the myth that bigger ID tubing increases performance, when it has next to no effect.

The limiting factor in most WC setups is heat dissipation. More water flow won't change that. The water will cycle faster, but its equilibrium temp should not change much.

If you were increasing airflow through your rads, I would expect an improvement. But I wouldn't expect gains from more water flow.

what doublejack says is pretty on but you do have to list the whole system because it is possible that you are not sitting high enough on your curve for your rad in which case more flow will help. but today with the recommendations most people make here you are probably sitting there with parts ( think rad) that will soon achieve diminished returns from more flow.
so are the current parts you are using the same ones in the gaming rig sig ( i am making the assumption that they are) otherwise you will probably want to list the parts specifically .

in fact when building loops you can put the expected max heat for each part to get a better feel of how your rad will perform for your fan /audible level , before ever buying a rad , to help narrow down your choices

Back