• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Millennium Glaciator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cjlax5

hey, anyone here had any trouble with the Millennium Glaciator? by trouble i mean the weight of the heatsink being to much for the socket and damnaging it? and what is the max weight the AK31's socket can hold? thanks

I don't think that any one mobo has a different socket tolerance for weight.... but I have a GII on mine and it's just fine. I unmount it when I move the computer but otherwise you shouldn't have problems.

SB

I have the Glaciator. I've had no problems with its weight on my socket. Although I do have a wire tie that ties its fan grill to my PSU so that IF it does come loose and falls off, my pride and joy GF3 Ti200 will be safe. This is really unnecessary as the heatsink really seems to stay on there pretty well. But just for security and peace of mind. Although the fan is quieter then a Delta, it's not exactly silent either.

The weight of the Glaciator is not as significant as the force applied to the socket lugs by the clamping mechanism. So in a static environment, you will be fine.

If you start moving it around, though, momentum comes in to play.

I've got a GII on my MSI board, and haven't had any problems whatsoever...

I've moved the case several times (not out of the room, but from this desk to that table type moves...), and haven't pulled the HSF to do so. Just be unbelieveably careful lifting/carrying/setting it back down!

I've got a new cpu coming (see sig), and thigs are gonna get shuffled around... I've got a AK31 v3.1 sitting here, waiting on my full tower to get painted (started today! YAY!), and my new chip to arrive (w/in a week *knocks on wood*)

My MSI board is staying in the mid-tower, and the new 1.4 T-Bird will go on it. The Shuttle is going into the full-tower, and the XP will come off the MSI onto that...

I've had a peek at the new paint...OMG!!! :eek: :D It's only half done, and I soiled my shorts! The chassis, and insides of the side panels got painted a lime green, along with the faceplates of my drives (cd/floppy) The outside of the case is black. He's still got that to paint.... He's gotta let the green dry, so he can do some masking before shooting the black onto the outside of the side panels.

Black is black...here's a crappy pic of the "green"... I went diggin thru the old paint chip books, and we came up w/ something quite close to 1970 Dodge green..the shade they used on the Challanger, I think it was...=) It's incredible, seeing the entire chassis this color.....:D

Anywho...I'll let ya know how the G II works out on the AK31 towards the beginning of next week. (by then, everything will be shipped/received/painted/assembled/etc...) I'm sure it'll be just fine. I've had the Glaciators mounted on many different mobo's, from s370 to socketA, and all have been hassle free...=)

Cheers!

Here's a pic of the real car..'70 Challenger SE..THIS color green.... :D

(Man...you can find a pic of anything on the web...;) )

Glaciator 2

Gonna duct 66 cfm's of fresh air to my Glaciator 2 once it comes. Might remove the stock fan completely, or I might replace it with a 40cfm fan. Will have to see what works best. Anyone tried replacing the stock fan and/or ducting air to it?

the most youll see by adding a delta is 1-2c lowering in temps, part of this HSF's beauty is its quietness. a few sites did the delta thing and all got the same results. if u want loud, get a thermalright SK-6 w/50cfm sunon, one of the best air-cooling rigs out there.

66 CFM

92mm YS Tech fan for 66.1 cfm! Will mount on side panel blowhole directly over HSF. Duct/adapter made of a chopped-up plastic funnel. I'll probably take out the stock fan completely as the duct should be much better. I believe its only 36 or 38 Dcb, not sure... laziness + slow work internet connection = not gonna look it up until I get home to my rig w/ cable.

I'll have to test and see if the 60mm YS Tech 40 cfm fan will do any good in the Glaciator2. It'll probably not be worth the noise.

Update....

I've had the AK31 running for a week now, with the XP and Galciator installed.

No problems mounting the HSF, whatsoever. :D

I am having some minor bugs...don't know if it's voltage related, or I need to reconfigure my case fan arrangement...runs great at default, but when I got to o/c the XP to the same settings (1.85v/148FSB) that I ran on the MSI, I get random errors, lock ups and BSOD's.....:( :confused:

But it fits great, and is an easy install on the AK31. :)

**edit**

It was heat related...I had the HSF off (well, the chip too..testing a new T-bird I got today), and when I reassembled the XP1800+, it booted and runs 1702MHz fine now... musta not had the HSF quite flush, or smudged the AS II putting the HSF on or something...:confused:

Heck...don't know, don't care...got my 1.7GHz back.... :D

Last edited:
Re: 66 CFM

Arkaine23 said:
92mm YS Tech fan for 66.1 cfm! Will mount on side panel blowhole directly over HSF. Duct/adapter made of a chopped-up plastic funnel. I'll probably take out the stock fan completely as the duct should be much better. I believe its only 36 or 38 Dcb, not sure... laziness + slow work internet connection = not gonna look it up until I get home to my rig w/ cable.

I'll have to test and see if the 60mm YS Tech 40 cfm fan will do any good in the Glaciator2. It'll probably not be worth the noise.
good plan! youll see good temps with that

pretty good temps

9 degrees above ambient. Still arranging everything in there. I unlocked my 1600+, but only partially. Gonna pull it out and redo it tonight at work. The duct/adapter I made is huge; it just screams overkill!

Now, if only I could get my HDD to stop acting up. Looks like another format and clean install of windows is in my future.

Back