• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sunbeam Core Contact...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChanceCoats123

d20 in a jacket
Well, I am seriously pondering spending my money :thup:, but I want to make sure I get a sink that isn't crap and will last me a couple cpu's. I was looking at the Sunbeam Core Contact. It is right in the range of what I want to pay and I hear it cools really well. I want to get my 5200+ to 3.250 stable. Thoughts? Any other sinks that are better, but aren't more than this? I don't want to spend a fortune so don't tell me to buy a TRUE (although they are great, I don't want to spend too much today.)

Edit: I was wondering how high this sink is? I have 165mm to work with from mobo to case side BTW.

Edit 2: I just checked the sunbeam website it fits.

Last edited:
I dont really trust the measurement on thier website. It says 15.5 or 16.5 I believe but I measured the clearance in my case from the top of my cpu core to the outer panel with a thin rod stuck through one of the side fan holes and I had 17.2cm of clearance, and my CCF barely fits inside. Are you on stock cooling now? It would be a good upgrade as long as it fits. I wouldn't buy it solely for the sake of getting an extra 200mhz out of your CPU though. It would be more benificial to have it for a future PII or something of the sort.

Yeah, that is mainly what it is for other than my current cpu. I want to be able to keep this one cool as it isn't now on stock... :/. I think I am going to order.

Newegg just threw a rebate on the CCF for $10 bucks so you can get it for $30 instead of $40 like I just paid for mine : / lol.

Have fun but dont be too anxious to spend your hard earned money.

Ohh trust me, I am not willing to shell out for ANYTHING. I absoultely hate spending money. But, I got this half off (mom was a little bit helpful) so I went ahead and did it.

I like mine, but they can be a real PITA on some mobo's. I had to scavenge parts from about two other old CPU fan kits and make a custom build to mount mine on my Rampage.

I think the mounting will go pretty well since I run Amd. But, one question I couldn't find on the sunbeam website or in reviews was the cooling capactiy. I want to find out what max options I will have with this cooler in the future.

It is rated one of the better one's on frosty tech why I got one awhile back.

Was top dog there at the time for cooling when I got it.

I'd look there if your wanting comparison's :)

http://www.frostytech.com/

The Fenrir seems to be tops on their list atm but a bit pricier I believe, hadn't checked pricing those.

Last edited:
Yeah, I checked and it is a pretty damn good cooler. Not to mention it is up against trues with a push/pull setup and it is running one fan (albeit it is a 90cfm.)

I had a Sunbeam CoreContact Freezer on my E8400 keeping it at about a nice 36c @ 4GHz on stock volts.

Personally I loved it. Would still be using if it weren't for Gigabyte's heatsink/heatpipe on a P45-UD3R making it a tight fit. (WILL FIT!!! But tight fit between the nb heatsink).

I had a Sunbeam CoreContact Freezer on my E8400 keeping it at about a nice 36c @ 4GHz on stock volts.

Personally I loved it. Would still be using if it weren't for Gigabyte's heatsink/heatpipe on a P45-UD3R making it a tight fit. (WILL FIT!!! But tight fit between the nb heatsink).

Sounds like a +1 to me :D.

It should easily cool any AM2 or AM3 CPU. Did you get it installed yet?

Nope, I haven't received it yet. Lol thanks for your input though, I will post some temps back here once I get it.

The fan is pretty nice, yeah, but got a Thermaltake and put on it myself, just for blue matching lighting placement and almost as high CFM :)

I like the fan that comes with it though, I actually mounted the adjustable controller through my liquid cooling grommets on the rear of the case and used some wire ties and a bit of heavy gauge clear tape and sealed up the rear of case above the PSU and mounted that fan to the side of case to make a controllable fan on the Antec 1200. Works pretty nice actually, just was two more adjustable fans on the rear I guess. Was surprised how well it fit, one bent tip went into one, the other grommet fit around base of the controller, then a few wire ties everything all nice and solid :eek:

I don't run either at full blast but they move air pretty well :)

I'll someday move to Yates I imagine maybe, just to quiet things up, but the fanage in here isn't bad as it is :beer:

Well, I am getting it tomorrow from the nice brown guy :thup: and to mongrel, one of the things that added to me buying it was the fact that it has the fan controller. I could always use another one of thems. :D

I got it in the mail today! I use amd so the mounting is GREAT! Albeit a little hard to get on in my cramped case, I got it and it holds great. The sink itself is amazing. I used the controller to set it to max and it still isn't the loudest fan in my case so that is great as well. But on to the best part of all. My oc' at 3 ghz even on stock cooling would hit 60* under small fft's in P95, it wasn't stable for more than 5 minutes due to heat. I put this sink on, enabled logging in coretemp and then left. I came back expecting a failure... Nope, the temps stayed UNDER 40*C... :drool:. Not to mention that those same settings that failed before are now 100% stable. This was quite possibly the best $30 I've ever spent. Will get pictures in a minute.

DSCN0881.jpg

DSCN0880.jpg

Last edited:
What kind of mounting mechanism does it use for the AMD? Looks like the clip type. Are you satisfied it is putting good pressure on the cpu face? Also, how did you get it to face the back and not the top? Is it made so you can mount it in either orientation?

Chance, do you have your ram installed in single channel configuration? Looks like there is an open slot between the two sticks. Hard to tell from the angle.

Last edited:
Ohh, yes. It is great! Seriously I had to push down pretty damn hard to get the second side to clip. I did have to push pretty hard, but it wasn't hard enough to cause me concern or to hear any mobo creaking. But basically, you clip one side on, that side goes up a tad and locks into place then you repeat on the opposite side. But I am finally satifyed even more!!! I got 3.25ghz stable on 1.48 volts, which is atad high for me, but with the sub 50* temps I am keeping under small fft's, I don't really care too much. It is under 1.5 volts and so that makes me happy.

Back