• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about CPU/Core temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MastrShakeXI9

Registered
I just recently built my PC and I don't know much about normal or acceptable temps for CPUs. Right now my i7 920 idles around 25c overclocked at 3.7ghz according to the E-LEET tuning utility that I got with my MoBo. The cores on the other hand run much hotter around 36c to 43c. When under load the CPU hits 57c and the Cores around 65c-70c. My question is that normal for the cores to run that much hotter than the CPU especially when Its Idle?

That's hot. Then again, the i7's are fireballs. However, how are you cooling the 920? Stock, after-market? If you are running stock, I recommend that you get yourself an after-market cooler. If you got an after-market cooler, double check the mounting of it, then check the air flow in the case.

using a dark knight cpu cooler. Air flow is fine I'm using a antec 902 with no cable clutter at all in the case. When you say its hot are you referring to the cores under load or at idle? I'm a little confused seeing how the cpu temp can stay in the mid 20s and the core run in the near 40s. I just like to know if that is normal.

I remounted the cooler 3 times and reapplied the AC5 each time. The temps always come out the same. The cooler is on there tight.

Ive been running prime 95 for a few hours now and the cores seem to stop in the low 60s with the highest being 65. The CPU stopped at 53c

Thanks for the responses. I was worried I might have been running it too hot. Now I don't have to worry anymore....unless I OC it even more o_O

J/K I wont...

Those are very good temps. However, you should check the sensors themselves with software such as HWmonitor

What about the VREG? so far its been running at 48c at idle and around 55c at load. What exactly is the VREG? Is it something I should be concerned about at this point?

Back