• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fusion509

I have always wanted to push my computer to the extreme and i am looking for the next step. I have looked at how lapping has worked and wonder if it is really worth it. Does any one have before and after temps and noticed a result because of lapping either the heatsink or cpu?

It so depends. Have you read up on lapping methods? Is your HS already flat? Have you checked your CPU for flat?

There is more to just sanding the stuff and expecting better temps.

Do your research first.

I have lapped three HS's and got small drops on all of them. Highest was 5c drop lowest was 2c

I'd say it depends on the chip. I had an E6550 with a bowed lid, so I lapped it. Average drop was between 4C-5C, but that usually isn't typical for most chips.

check both your heatsink and chip to see if they are flat but if your current temps are fine would it really make any sense to lap.

I shaved off about 4 degrees C under full load by lapping my TRUE without lapping my CPU which was quite flat to begin with. The TRUE has a notoriously convex base, however, and really benefits from lapping. Heat sink bases which are already flat won't benefit from lapping.

Last edited:
I dropped a solid 7 degrees by lapping my TRUE and my CPU to 600 grit. Small fft load 61 vs. 68. I have learned that my best method to lowering temps for me is opening up a window and getting some air through my office. (cost=free, time spent=a few seconds) A couple computers running can sure stuff up a small room.

Back