• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket 939 issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jstutman

I dont typically run AMD so I dont much about them, what I found was a gigabyte Gigabyte K8NS Ultra 939.

Here lies the problem, It only wants to accept PC2100/2700 Memory. Its been awhile since the days of DDR so it may be the problem.

I have several sticks of XMS 3200, and several sticks of PC 4200 DDR memory that this board refuses to boot too, is this caused by an incompatibility or is this cause by the fact the board would need to be overclocked first to achieve these speeds?

The specs state DDR/400

According to Gigabytes own web page for that board it should take dual channel DDR400.

See link: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=1839

(sorry if I am repeating what you've already researched)

The only thing I can think of is your board doesn't like that particular RAM but when I searched I couldn't find if it only took certain recommended brands. I see nowhere that you have to first oc.

Last edited:
There may be a voltage issue between your ram and the mobo. I have ran into a similar situation with another mobo. What I had to do was to use a lower volts stick to get into the bios and set the bios to the voltage needed for the stick I was planning on using, then I turned the system off and inserted the stick I wanted to use before turning the system back on.

Good Luck

Well after playing around, I got it to work kinda...

As of now, just looks like corsair sticks are defective, I got

2x256 crucial 2700 that will boot up fine
2x256 adata 3200 that will boot up fine

The new issue

I can only do one pair, when I add all four sticks in the motherboard it only see's two of the sticks.

tested in 1/2 works fine
tested in 3/4 works fine

placing ram in all for slots, it only detects ram in 3/4

There isnt much more needed in this thing, its just gonna become a server in the closet, The only downside now is the SATA150 but it looks like a gigabit is just slower than the theoritical 150mbs the sata drive is, which means I should be fine. If I need to add more drives after I max out the boards, It looks like a pci sata is only like $30/$40

Well after playing around, I got it to work kinda...

As of now, just looks like corsair sticks are defective, I got

2x256 crucial 2700 that will boot up fine
2x256 adata 3200 that will boot up fine

The new issue

I can only do one pair, when I add all four sticks in the motherboard it only see's two of the sticks.

tested in 1/2 works fine
tested in 3/4 works fine

placing ram in all for slots, it only detects ram in 3/4

There isnt much more needed in this thing, its just gonna become a server in the closet, The only downside now is the SATA150 but it looks like a gigabit is just slower than the theoritical 150mbs the sata drive is, which means I should be fine. If I need to add more drives after I max out the boards, It looks like a pci sata is only like $30/$40

Try setting it to 2T timings. 939 HATES 1T with 4 sticks. In the end, actually, this is why I upgraded to core 2: I was limited in how much ram I could run, and even with 4 sticks, I'd be stuck running an even slower system just to keep it up and running... I'm a little sensitive and overly aware of this issue. -_-

Yeah, many socket 939 boards were very picky about RAM. I could never manage to get my Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe or Premium boards to even POST with 4 sticks of RAM. With 2x512MB installed, it would run great. With 2x1GB installed it would run, but the memory dividers wouldn't work properly. It was a real headache.

Yeah, many socket 939 boards were very picky about RAM. I could never manage to get my Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe or Premium boards to even POST with 4 sticks of RAM. With 2x512MB installed, it would run great. With 2x1GB installed it would run, but the memory dividers wouldn't work properly. It was a real headache.

Yep. :)

I miss my rock solid DFI SLI-DR, though. You just can't beat a board like that anymore. This gigabyte I just got is shaping up nicely. If only it could do SLI though. :(

I ran 4gb of G skills on both my A8ns as well as on my other 939 board (vendor went OOB and I am drawing a blank) with zero issues.

the G.SKILL ram is still everywhere including egg,i believe it is 39 dollars right now.And get true 1066 if your mobo can run it instead of the OC 800 mgz stuff:)

the G.SKILL ram is still everywhere including egg,i believe it is 39 dollars right now.And get true 1066 if your mobo can run it instead of the OC 800 mgz stuff:)

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Please read the thread before you post, or make sure you're familiar with the subject matter. DDR2 isn't supported on Socket 939 AT ALL

My bad for getting carried away:confused:I swore though at one time mobos where being sold that would use either DDR or DDR2.Your right I was getting away from the main topic my bad:screwy:

I ran 4gb of G skills on both my A8ns as well as on my other 939 board (vendor went OOB and I am drawing a blank) with zero issues.
I never tried G Skills. I didn't have any problems running 2x512MB of Crucial Ballistix or Corsair VS on my A8N boards, but 4x512MB of Corsair VS wouldn't POST, and 2x1GB of Corsair VS made the memory dividers unstable, even with underclocked memory, so I had to run 1:1. Before my A8N boards, I had an A8V Deluxe, and when I ran it with my 2x512MB of Crucial Ballistix, the memory dividers would do some really wacky things. So overall, I had very poor results trying to get my socket 939 rigs to behave as they should have with certain memory.

I have been a die hard believer in Corsair thats what is on my Crosshair system.Its nice though that pcs have moved up into another era.I think we have some record breaking systems that are going to come out of the AM3 setups.

I never tried G Skills. I didn't have any problems running 2x512MB of Crucial Ballistix or Corsair VS on my A8N boards, but 4x512MB of Corsair VS wouldn't POST, and 2x1GB of Corsair VS made the memory dividers unstable, even with underclocked memory, so I had to run 1:1. Before my A8N boards, I had an A8V Deluxe, and when I ran it with my 2x512MB of Crucial Ballistix, the memory dividers would do some really wacky things. So overall, I had very poor results trying to get my socket 939 rigs to behave as they should have with certain memory.
I'm surprised to hear that! I've had nothing but great results from my Corsair on the A8N32's I've got. Maybe the difference is the VS RAM compared to XMS, though I do have a couple of sticks of value RAM that also do very well for the price ...

I'm surprised to hear that! I've had nothing but great results from my Corsair on the A8N32's I've got. Maybe the difference is the VS RAM compared to XMS, though I do have a couple of sticks of value RAM that also do very well for the price ...
Well, were you running on a divider or 1:1? In my experience (with the exception of the no POST condition when running 4 modules), everything would always work fine when I ran 1:1. When I tried running on a divider with the 2x1GB configruation, I ran into a lot of instability.

2x512MB Corsair VS PC3200: All memory dividers worked great on my A8N-SLI Deluxe.

2x1GB Corsair VS PC3200: Only 1:1 was stable on the same board. All dividers resulted in instability, even with underclocked memory.

I'm not sure how to explain this other than the mobo couldn't handle running the larger amount of memory on a divider. Or maybe it was the memory controller on the CPU (Opty 170) that was at fault?

Back