• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Too much pressure?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Priv

Is there a thing as too much pressure on a processor from your air cooling retention bracket, this all without crushing the processor of course.

Yesterday I lapped my CPU and TRUE in a push/pull setup to flatten them out. Before the lapping I was seeing core temps of 67-67-59-59 (tjmax 100) and calibrated the temps were 62 across with a CPU Tcase at 57.

Now after lapping I am seeing 65-65-58-58 uncalibrated with tjmax 100 and 59 across calibrated. The Tcase temperature is 54.

After the lapping I added the washer mod too my TRUE and now I fear that I added too much pressure to the CPU so that the processor and HSF are no longer making perfect contact. The HSF looks like it is seated crookedly on the processor... Is it possible to have too much pressure on your HSF and have therefor pushed the TIM off cpu and heatsink contact, or bowed something else causing less contact?

Other than that I believe these temps are rather high for a Q6600 at 1.37V and a TRUE with 2x Noctua P12...

Last edited:
It's possible to bow the motherboard, sure. Just be reasonable in your install. Tighten each corner equally until you are unable to move the HS with light-to-moderate torque. You don't have to worry about the TIM. If it ever happened, by the time you squeeze all of it from between them, you will have broken something.

Those temps seem really high...My Q9450 is at 3.4Ghz and my temps don't reach 52c on full load. Idle I'm 37. If you are idle at 65c I would say something is wrong.

What thermal paste did you use? and how much did you put on?

This is full load prime small fft, sorry, I forgot to mention that.

Reseating heatsink has seemed to improve temps. 61-61-55-54 with tjmax 100. I added one drop of thermal paste and removed the washer mod, I dont think I can get any more out of this heat sink than this. Calibrated the temps are 56-56-56-56, that's not that bad I guess for a 65 nm quad...

Try adding a IFX-10 backside cooler + TRUE, then you know what absurd pressure is all about, like adding 3+ washers on it. Took me about an hour of cursing and a ton of pressure to get the thing screwed on. I was scared thing would strip the thread and pop off.

Try adding a IFX-10 backside cooler + TRUE, then you know what absurd pressure is all about, like adding 3+ washers on it. Took me about an hour of cursing and a ton of pressure to get the thing screwed on. I was scared thing would strip the thread and pop off.

This really puts me on a wall when people try to mod there hardware physically with out knowing the limits and thinking it though....Why are you in gods mind adding 3 washers??? If the manufacture didn't even put one washer on it to start with do you really think you need 3???...Just use one... And Yes your Heat sink is probly so tite on the cpu that it push all the thermal to the edges..take it off take off 2 washers and try again and report back

This really puts me on a wall when people try to mod there hardware physically with out knowing the limits and thinking it though....Why are you in gods mind adding 3 washers??? If the manufacture didn't even put one washer on it to start with do you really think you need 3???...Just use one... And Yes your Heat sink is probly so tite on the cpu that it push all the thermal to the edges..take it off take off 2 washers and try again and report back

He wasn't suggesting add more pressure, he was just giving an example of negative effects of too much pressure.

He wasn't suggesting add more pressure, he was just giving an example of negative effects of too much pressure.

Still..If you need more then enough pressure its to much..HSF have 4 contact points that apply pressure on 4 corners of the hsf, Putting in washer mods will put all of that pressure on the corner mounts right into the center. Pushing the tm to the sides...Take off the hsf and take off 2 washer's and post pics of the tm...I can guarnatee your tm is all ****** up

Please do not go around the swear filter. In addition, you aren't supposed to have a layer of TIM inbetween the HSF and the core - the TIM should only be filling the gaps where the surfaces are imperfect. Pushing the extra TIM out is not inherently a bad thing, but it does depend on various factors. Marci has the right idea below for reference also. Also, the rules are there so you follow the spirit of them, not the letter. You may want to consider giving others a little more consideration - TIM and HSF mounting isn't something to become rude or angry about. - IMOG

Last edited by a moderator:
Chase, if the heatsink is making a solid enough contact to push the tim out, that's a GOOD thing.. Metal to metal contact is better than metal->tim->metal tim is used to fill the gaps... if there's no gaps, the tim gets smooshed out, and you have direct contact.. the less tim you have in the join, the better

ideally you wouldn't NEED tim...

Chase, if the heatsink is making a solid enough contact to push the tim out, that's a GOOD thing.. Metal to metal contact is better than metal->tim->metal tim is used to fill the gaps... if there's no gaps, the tim gets smooshed out, and you have direct contact.. the less tim you have in the join, the better

ideally you wouldn't NEED tim...

I doubt it, The TiM was pushed away and with all these's washer mods and how much forced he needed to put the TRUE back on, sounds like the true isn't seated correctly or is bent to one side...Please remove he TRUE and take off the washer mods and post back there's no way in hell that you are getting 55 idle and telling me that the HSF is seated correctly.

55 isn't idle, "This is full load prime small fft, sorry, I forgot to mention that."

that's better than the temps I get with my duo. I'm going to have to revise my cooling situation myself... I get roughly 63C load temps with a noctua cooler and 2 media speed yates.

Still..If you need more then enough pressure its to much..HSF have 4 contact points that apply pressure on 4 corners of the hsf, Putting in washer mods will put all of that pressure on the corner mounts right into the center. Pushing the tm to the sides...Take off the hsf and take off 2 washer's and post pics of the tm...I can guarnatee your tm is all Fked up

This really puts me on a wall when people try to comment on posts without knowing the contents and thinking the post through. Why in god's good earth are you replying to a post you didn't even read? In case you still haven't, and i have your attention, he was referring to the installation process for terrible contraption! More specifically, the added installation fatigue and torque required, he likened to that of having 3 washers instead of 1.

Those temps seem really high...My Q9450 is at 3.4Ghz and my temps don't reach 52c on full load. Idle I'm 37. If you are idle at 65c I would say something is wrong.

What thermal paste did you use? and how much did you put on?

Post clearly states its at 65 idling.....What are you trying to ask??.. No to much pressure isn't bad...but to much pressure and a uneven hsf is bad....Yes the hsf is closer to the cpu.. but have you put to metals togather and tryyed getting full contact with metal?? It doesn't flex very much..

Post clearly states its at 65 idling.....What are you trying to ask??.. No to much pressure isn't bad...but to much pressure and a uneven hsf is bad....Yes the hsf is closer to the cpu.. but have you put to metals togather and tryyed getting full contact with metal?? It doesn't flex very much..

And here you go trolling again. :bang head

According to the origional poster, there's no such thing that says it's at full load or even idling (in any of the posts prior to the post you quoted, and the revelation of it being full load small fft's was brought on by the very post you're quoting). Please be nice to other posters, and there's simply no reason you should be attacking people. Everything you've posted in this thread so far has been rubbish.

Is there a thing as too much pressure on a processor from your air cooling retention bracket, this all without crushing the processor of course.

Yesterday I lapped my CPU and TRUE in a push/pull setup to flatten them out. Before the lapping I was seeing core temps of 67-67-59-59 (tjmax 100) and calibrated the temps were 62 across with a CPU Tcase at 57.

Now after lapping I am seeing 65-65-58-58 uncalibrated with tjmax 100 and 59 across calibrated. The Tcase temperature is 54.

After the lapping I added the washer mod too my TRUE and now I fear that I added too much pressure to the CPU so that the processor and HSF are no longer making perfect contact. The HSF looks like it is seated crookedly on the processor... Is it possible to have too much pressure on your HSF and have therefor pushed the TIM off cpu and heatsink contact, or bowed something else causing less contact?

Other than that I believe these temps are rather high for a Q6600 at 1.37V and a TRUE with 2x Noctua P12...
In every one of my post I clearly stated that the hsf is uneven due to all the washer mods, Please explain to me where all theses "rubbish" Post have been about... OP even states it looks uneven.....Now Explain how thats trolling??

In every one of my post I clearly stated that the hsf is uneven due to all the washer mods, Please explain to me where all theses "rubbish" Post have been about... OP even states it looks uneven.....Now Explain how thats trolling??

You still seem to have it in your mind that he's got more than 1 washer in his cooler, and this has not yet been clarified. I'm going to report you now. But you should probably re-read the thread to see where you're wrong.

As for priv... I would reseat your cooler making careful sure to install it using an interleaving pattern.

Say it's:

1 2

3 4

Go 1, 4, 2, 3, each about a turn each. It'll tighten down nicely without any unevenness. If you're still having issues after that, it may be that your heatsink or IHS is convex, might be worth doing the razor check (hold a razer against the heatsink and look for daylight inbetween).

You still seem to have it in your mind that he's got more than 1 washer in his cooler, and this has not yet been clarified. I'm going to report you now. But you should probably re-read the thread to see where you're wrong.

Lol report me for what?? Lol you sound like a kid telling a teacher in elementry school.... Idc if theres 1 washer on there or 3 washers..Don't call out my post if your just gonna run and hide...Where i'm wrong, your a **** dude. OP clearly states hsf is uneven on the cpu what else do you want???

Lol report me for what?? Lol you sound like a kid telling a teacher in elementry school.... Idc if theres 1 washer on there or 3 washers..Don't call out my post if your just gonna run and hide...Where i'm wrong, your a **** dude. OP clearly states hsf is uneven on the cpu what else do you want???

That is correct. It is uneven, but the vast majority of people enthusiastic about they're true have used the modification in question with good results. My friend has also. There's always way too many reasons something can go wrong, and you being blatantly rude is not helping.

Looking for fights on the internet is also foolish. It's a complete waste of time and I don't want to be a part of it.

Back