• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some new floorstanders..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Dont buy new...get used ;)

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/ele/1129974024.html

Get them now before theyre gone! $100 is an absolute STEAL. The normal going price for those is about $300 to $400 used. Then go to Crites Speakers and spend the $225 on his brand new crossovers and $50 on titanium tweeters....theyll make those Elemental A6s look like kids toys. I bought the Crites crossovers and titanium tweeters for my Fortes...I'll never part with them. None of the stuff at my local hifi shop makes me envious anymore.

Boston acustics makes good speakers. Not saying it will save you any money but coming from an audio aficionado price nor name make a good system but rather the power balance and compensation for enviromental defects that does.

Get them now before theyre gone! $100 is an absolute STEAL. The normal going price for those is about $300 to $400 used. Then go to Crites Speakers and spend the $225 on his brand new crossovers and $50 on titanium tweeters....theyll make those Elemental A6s look like kids toys. I bought the Crites crossovers and titanium tweeters for my Fortes...I'll never part with them. None of the stuff at my local hifi shop makes me envious anymore.

Those are indeed an awesome deal, I'm just not a fan of Klipsch. Just a bit bright for my tastes. That's what's also making me consider the Paradigm setup compared to the Elementals - most reviews have the eD pair being a little low in the mids and forward in the highs. The other thing is, I've made up my mind to buy new, for warranty and peace of mind. Nothing wrong with used gear in general, but I'm looking for a pair of speakers I'll keep for 10+ years without investing in maintenance.

I probably should have mentioned, these will be used 95% of the time for TV and movies in a 2.0 setup. For pure music, I'd look in other directions for sure. turbohans, you are quite right of course, balance is key. My amp is low powered, a NAD C320BEE, so the high efficiency of the Paradigms should hopefully pair well. I guess I'll see tomorrow when I go listen.

Ahhhh that makes sense to me. Yeah Klipsch are an acquired taste...most folks (including me) use them with tube gear, thats where they really shine. I wish I could recommend you some TV/movie speakers...Im not very well versed in that area.

I am also in the market for floorstander speakers. I just tonight went and heard the Def Tech BP7002 ($2400 pair), BP7006 ($1300 pair), Klipsch WF35 ($1500 pair), RF82 ($1100 pair). I liked the RF82 significantly better than the WF35, but I disliked both Klipsch greatly. I've never heard horn speakers, but if these are any indication I never will. The mids sounded very bloated around the 4-5k range with almost zero sparkle above 9k. Bass was not great either, but it was solid. This was from a Pioneer Elite S-05 so it had plenty of power.

The Def Tech BP7002 sounded great, but I had to jack up the volume to get decent listening level. The sound quality was far better than the Klipsch with a smooth full spectrum and good pounding bass thanks to the built in 12" powered woofers. The BP7006 were even more inefficient requiring yet another volume crank. The sound was distant though the signature matched it's older brother. Not my cup of tea.

So far the BP7002 are in the lead, although they are out of my price range. I think I can find many speakers that sound better than them, these are simply the only ones I've looked at so far. I'm going to look at the PSB speaker line tomorrow or the next day at a local dealer. The ones I'll be looking at mostly are the Image T55 or T65. They are perfectly matched to my price range, I just hope they sound good as well.

You should try out the Klipsch Heritage series Max. Their Reference series is pretty craptacular for the most part. Hereseys, La Scalas, Khorns, Fortes, Choruses, Belles...theyre totally different animals than their Reference counterparts. Power them with tubes...SS and Klipsch dont mix very well. SS bloats the midrange and makes the highs pretty shrill.

So far the BP7002 are in the lead, although they are out of my price range. I think I can find many speakers that sound better than them, these are simply the only ones I've looked at so far. I'm going to look at the PSB speaker line tomorrow or the next day at a local dealer. The ones I'll be looking at mostly are the Image T55 or T65. They are perfectly matched to my price range, I just hope they sound good as well.

Think I'm A/Bing the T65s with the Monitor 9s today, will let ya know which wins.

You should try out the Klipsch Heritage series Max. Their Reference series is pretty craptacular for the most part. Hereseys, La Scalas, Khorns, Fortes, Choruses, Belles...theyre totally different animals than their Reference counterparts. Power them with tubes...SS and Klipsch dont mix very well. SS bloats the midrange and makes the highs pretty shrill.

These will likely be powered by a modern SS 7.1 receiver. I don't have money for separate amps. Although I could take the preouts to my SX-9 for some 125WPC action :)

Still don't care for the Klipsch and I'm not willing to buy something from them I can't hear first knowing that I didn't like either of the products I have heard.

Think I'm A/Bing the T65s with the Monitor 9s today, will let ya know which wins.

Excellent. Look forward to your thoughts.

I took home the Monitor 9's. They just knocked my socks off. Will report again once they've broken in :beer:

:eek:

I might just pick those up. I love my infinity towers, but these just seem too good to pass up...

I was afraid you'd say that. No Monitor dealer near me :(

You in OK City? http://www.audiomidwest.com/index.htm is pretty close..

edit: Oh, won't get into a whole review thing but so far, everything sounds great, and my 'wimpy little' 50wpc NAD is driving these things easily. I have a feeling they would do great with a low powered tube amp even. They are rated at 93db anechoic, 96db in room, and I believe it. The volume dial needn't go anywhere above 1/6th or so before it gets too loud. I did check how much they could handle before breaking down while I was at the shop, and with a rather large amp, they took the power and just got louder - no breakup and distortion at all up to about 1/2 volume on a 300 watt amp. Won't comment on the actual sound much because I've got about 4 more days of break-in to go, but I will say it sounds good :beer:

edit again: Oh, I see that amp in your sig looking for new buddies to drive around is 7 channel. Well, I also listened to the Mini Monitors while I was there, and they are just a perfect match, only $400 a pair too. Same exact midrange driver and tweeter as the Monitor 9's. Pretty cheap upgrade path if you do go multichannel.

Last edited:
I'm shopping for towers to build a 5.1/7.1 onto. My listening is 75% stereo music 15% stereo tv (old shows) and 10% multichannel hi def movies. You can see why I'm looking to put most of my money in the towers.

I'm shopping for towers to build a 5.1/7.1 onto. My listening is 75% stereo music 15% stereo tv (old shows) and 10% multichannel hi def movies. You can see why I'm looking to put most of my money in the towers.

I did the same thing. Towers now, and made sure there were smaller versions with the same drivers I can add later on for multichannel. I'm pretty sure that Audio Midwest place has Paradigm, wouldn't hurt to give it a listen :beer:

Just got back from hearing the T65s. Very impressed by sound for the dollar. They have a similar sound signature to my HD600 headphones and aren't above my budget which I was worried after only being remotely satisfied with the $2400 Def Techs. The aim was to find something similar to HD600, but not expect the same level of detail. I think the T65s are right on the money. Close in signature and enough detail to satisfy especially at the price point.

I know I should shop around, but I'm perfectly happy with the T65s. I heard the T55s which were not bad but not nearly as good as the T65s. They had the newer Imagine series there too, but I still preferred the T65s. I'll look up Paradigm, but I don't know if I'll actually go listen to them.

I'll look up Paradigm, but I don't know if I'll actually go listen to them.

Turns out they are actually in this months TAS. There's a blurb on the cover that says "Paradigm's $950 wonder speaker"

Unfortunately those are about double my budget. I assume you are referring to the Studio 100s?

Unfortunately those are about double my budget. I assume you are referring to the Studio 100s?

Nope, the Paradigm Monitor 9's. MSRP (for the pair, not each) is $950 or $995 I forget which, friendly dealer will let them go for a bit less.

eDesign A6-6T6 towers are GOD...

click my 52inches of crysis link to see my eD setup... they are some AMAZING speakers, true threeways dual chambered (lower 2 6.5's r for the lows) upper is for mids then the tweeter. its a simply amazing speaker from an awesome company at a great price.

When i got em i got them before any of the other speakers in my 5.1 including the sub so i ran them as a 2.0 setup for about a week and i could not believe the range they had... from the DEEP lows to the super high ... completely uniform.

Back