• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Scythe Kabuto

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
"If your spoonful of soup is too hot, do you blow or suck air across the spoon?"

I blow, across the spoon not directly into the spoon as the downward force would send the soup off the spoon. But on a more serious not, why not blow across like the other proven sinks? Why send the hot air down closer to the parts?

Hmm, I would try mounting the fan orientation sucking air out the sink. There's a huge gap between the heatpipes, so I'm sure that will work better. The sad part is it has the pushpins instead of a bolt down. That's kinda lame for a such a large sink imho.

Looks kinda cool tho.

Last edited:
yea neb i thought about that, replace the push pins with a TR bolt thru kit at $6 from SWC.

chance,
a downward air flow cools the nb/pwm's as well. that is why some with tower sinks need to add fans to the NB/PWM. Either that or they switch out the stock sinks for other ones.

Hmm, I would try mounting the fan orientation sucking air out the sink. There's a huge gap between the heatpipes, so I'm sure that will work better. The sad part is it has the pushpins instead of a bolt down. That's kinda lame for a such a large sink imho.

Looks kinda cool tho.

All the experiments I've seen where people try a suck fan instead of a push fan set up indicate sucking isn't very effective. It helps only if you are also pushing which you couldn't do, of course with this kind of cooler.

hard to tell but you might be able to fit a 80x10mm fan between the fins(top) and the fins on the base.

yea neb i thought about that, replace the push pins with a TR bolt thru kit at $6 from SWC.

chance,
a downward air flow cools the nb/pwm's as well. that is why some with tower sinks need to add fans to the NB/PWM. Either that or they switch out the stock sinks for other ones.

I figured it was along those lines, but I am not a big fan of putting already warm air on hotter parts. I mean it would cool, just not as effectively.

I figured it was along those lines, but I am not a big fan of putting already warm air on hotter parts. I mean it would cool, just not as effectively.

Air doesn't transfer heat that quickly. There is little temperature differential between the air entering the heatsink and the air exiting the heatsink.

The fan blowing down, and thus onto the heatpipes and the hottest part of the heatsink, should be more effective than having the fan in a pull configuration.

Back