• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

increase ssd performance in xp with FLASHPOINT!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nd4spdbh2

Ok guys i have had my mini 9 for awhile and its been a great lil laptop but the ssd in it has always suffered from very bad random writes as does every other netbook ssd and many 2.5 and 3.5in ssds on the market.

Now aligning your partition with an offset of 128 sectors makes a difference for sure (check it out here http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=597609)

But this guy over on mydellmini.com forums has come up with a "driver" called flashpoint, essentially what it does is create a 32mb buffer on your ram for your ssd and i cant believe the performance increase... everything became SO MUCH snappier its not even funny. I always had problems with transferring big files but not any more.

definitely check it out
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~hkim362/project/flashpoint.html

my dell mini thread
http://mydellmini.com/forum/flashpoint-ssd-accelerator-t6238.html

This driver is lmited to xp

it depends on the drive... if you look at the thread at mydellmini, the first post have ATTO benchmarks where writes are greatly improved. I benched my mini and not much changed benchmark wise... but god damn the thing is SO MUCH better.

i had a coupla issues before:
1. upon every start up i would have a 15 second freeze about 15seconds after the desktop showed up... then everything would be fine

2. when copying bigger ( greater than 10mb or so) files the computer would just lock up like the hd was just completly bogged down...

After installing flashpoint, BOTH of those issues are non existent now, and everything is much MUCH more snappier.

ya even for a drive like the ocz vertex you would see benefits... if ur running xp on those vertex's make sure you tweak xp to play with ssd's nicely.

i cant believe how much of a difference it made... i used my netbook all day yesterday and it was like a whole new machine... and i thought i had it running really smooth ... i had xp tweaked to the max for minimum writes.

Flashpoint FTW!

what i like most is that its VERY small, and is completely transparent.

Can't wait to see some benches posted here... those old SSD's might be going up in value? and be somewhat more attractive to us general users.

Can't wait to see some benches posted here... those old SSD's might be going up in value? and be somewhat more attractive to us general users.

yes the junky jmicron ssd's used in bigger laptops and desktops would probably see great benefits using the same thing!

Just ditched my linux distro to give XP + flashpoint a shot after trying everything else I could find. All I can say is.....WOW!!@!@!!! I was on the verge of giving up on my 900a until now, what an improvement :beer:

Thank you!!

Back