• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about Connecting Two lan lines

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RWCBLAZER

I heard from someone that connecting the 2nd lan line from my pc to the router can increase the speed of my internet. For example 1 lan port would be use for incoming connection and the 2nd for outgoing. Is it true? if it is how can this be configured?

HTML:
Windows:            	Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer:  	7.0.5730.13
Memory (RAM):       	3328 MB
CPU Info:           	Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E8500  @ 3.16GHz
CPU Speed:          	3163.5 MHz
Sound card:         	SoundMAX HD Audio
Display Adapters:   	NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT  | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Monitors:           	1
Screen Resolution:  	1440 X 900 - 32 bit
Network:            	Network Present
Network Adapters:   	Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller #2 - Packet Scheduler Miniport | Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport
CD / DVD Drives:    	D: PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-212D
COM Ports:          	NOT Present
LPT Ports:          	NOT Present
Mouse:              	16 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks:         	C:  931.5GB
Hard Disks - Free:  	C:  823.1GB
USB Controllers:    	8 host controllers.
Firewire (1394):    	1 host controllers.
PCMCIA (Laptops):   	Not Installed
Manufacturer:       	American Megatrends Inc.
Product Make:       	Maximus II Formula
AC Power Status:    	OnLine
BIOS Info:          	AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 12/17/08 | A_M_I_ - 12000817
Time Zone:          	Pacific Standard Time
Battery:            	No Battery
Motherboard:        	ASUSTeK Computer INC. Maximus II Formula
Modem:              	Not detected

If you will suffer an analogy:

Your gigabit ethernet is a 747 capable of 600 mph flight. Your internet is the taxiway to the airstrip. Adding another 747 will not let you taxi faster.

I know in commercial applications it used to be common to duplex/multiplex modems, in order to overcome bandwidth limitations.. this hasn't been necessarry for a long time though

Well.... For example 1 lan port would be use for incoming connection and the 2nd for outgoing. Is it true?

This is actually true in servers... i used to do it on most of the servers i set up i separated the load of the NICS... Also when i set up VPN i use another interface for it... So if u have a web/mail server u can set nic1 to the webserver and nic2 to the mail server. But now with the speeds of nics... there is no gains from this

Well.... For example 1 lan port would be use for incoming connection and the 2nd for outgoing. Is it true?

basically you have this

upload speeds are significantly lower than downstream speeds in most cases, T1's+ will have a equal or very similar connection because you are paying for the reliability and the point to point connectivity; unlike DSL or cable, where you're coming from a central hub.

you may be able to download more, or support more users in this situation, however, you wont get the performance of a V8 if you slam 2 4 cylinder engines in your car, for comparison.

you're wasting money if you just use one for "upload" and one for "download" most firewalls and even computers share the bandwidth in certain situations unless configured to do services via your upstream.

with load balancing you have this :

round robin : your firewall or router will cycle connection attempts between x1 and x2 .... etc.. modems

percentage based:

if one modem peaks x percentage the other router will kick in and share the connections.

or lastly

failover :

if one internet connection fails, the other will take active

example:

company A has a serial link to company B for some reason, the link dies, the router has a backup ISDN connection as failover the router kicks in with ISDN and will disconnect when the serial link comes back up.

basically you have this

upload speeds are significantly lower than downstream speeds in most cases, T1's+ will have a equal or very similar connection because you are paying for the reliability and the point to point connectivity; unlike DSL or cable, where you're coming from a central hub.

you may be able to download more, or support more users in this situation, however, you wont get the performance of a V8 if you slam 2 4 cylinder engines in your car, for comparison.

you're wasting money if you just use one for "upload" and one for "download" most firewalls and even computers share the bandwidth in certain situations unless configured to do services via your upstream.

with load balancing you have this :

round robin : your firewall or router will cycle connection attempts between x1 and x2 .... etc.. modems

percentage based:

if one modem peaks x percentage the other router will kick in and share the connections.

or lastly

failover :

if one internet connection fails, the other will take active

example:

company A has a serial link to company B for some reason, the link dies, the router has a backup ISDN connection as failover the router kicks in with ISDN and will disconnect when the serial link comes back up.

lol i was just repeating his initial question :)

This worked for me back in my first year of college, but we had two 100Mb lines in our dorm room and the school had a couple OC-3 lines and a T-3 line connecting to the internet. In off-peak hours if I connected both to my computer and ran the appropriate software I could almost double the download speed from using the one. Damn it felt good to max out the ethernet connection! Later, gigabit upgrades nullified any gains to be had from running both lines, but then I managed to max out my drive write speed on an internal network transfer! FiOS is great and all, but it doesn't hold a candle to such stuff.

Wikipedia said:
Link aggregation or IEEE 802.1AX-2008, is a computer networking term which describes using multiple network cables/ports in parallel to increase the link speed beyond the limits of any one single cable or port, and to increase the redundancy for higher availability.

Most implementations now conform to what used to be clause 43 of IEEE 802.3-2005 Ethernet standard, usually still referred to by its working group name of "IEEE 802.3ad". The Link Aggregation definition has since been moved to a standalone IEEE 802.1AX standard.

Other terms for link aggregation include "Ethernet trunk", "NIC teaming", "port channel", "port teaming", "port trunking", "link bundling", "EtherChannel", "Multi-Link Trunking (MLT)", "NIC bonding", "Network Fault Tolerance (NFT)".

LINK

Back