• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vegetable oil cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dr McFondled

Disabled
So I did it. It has its ups and downs for most of you who don't know.

I began to disassemble my computer and the motherboard laying it into a plastic container. the things that went inside where the motherboard, graphics card, 2x Ram, and 4 fans.

The computer was running fine after ten minutes of doing nothing ((Windows 7)) I've been having problems with BSOD being Page file errors. so currently no problems.
CPU Temp was 44
GPU Temp was 53 ((Burning !! Oh Noes))
Temp 1/2 was 127 ((Eep)) I think this was the HDD I continually touched it and it was burning.

after about another 10 minutes i began to pour a bottle of Vegetable oil on the side and a bit on the motherboard to make sure nothing bad happens. I checked for smoke, and non.
((48 FL Oz Bottle of Vegetable Oil no salt, I don't want corrosion))

The second bottle went in and went up about a quarter way up the CPU.
CPU Temp was 38
GPU Temp was 49
Temp 1/2 was 124

About an hour later temp risen
CPU: 40
GPU: 50
Temp: 125
((This is sort of bad))

After about an hour current Temps stayed the same. So I began to try and Overclock.
Current OC Settings
245x13.5 400Mhz (Ram)

Lets not bore you :3
New Current Settings
251x13.5 533Mhz (Ram)

Good !! CPU Temp only rose by 2 Degrees.
My PC would get into Safe mode before putting it in vegetable oil
So Good Good..

At the moment. My computer is currently having problems I'm having a BSOD problem right now and Windows 7 won't boot up Dunno why, and they vegetable oil is slowly heating around the integrated GPU

Currently looking for a solution.. Damn it smells like Vegetable oil lol !:beer:

Last edited:
its going to be a complete mess. This should be entertaining for a little while, but you have quite a few things to cover before even attempting this.

How are you going to cool the oil? Radiator externally?

Pump needed to push that much oil.

Hot spots in the enclosure that aren't getting pumped out.

I know that you can put 120mm case fans in there at full blast and they should be able to get some type of flow going.

Lol post tons of pics!

... it usually turns out that oil submersion cooling is:

1. messy as hell
2. costs more than decent air cooling
3. doesnt cool as good as the decent air cooling that would cost less

dont do it its a stupid novelty cooling

The WOW factor will only last for a few weeks, if that. I would much rather see you custom build a sick h2o setup and make it worth the effort.

Not trying to kill you excitement for something new and cool, but if most of the people here are telling you the same thing, I would listen...

How long will it last if i seal it well.
From that, it sounds like you're planning on sealing it and leaving it. The oil will only cool your computer for a short amount of time...until it heats up. The PC will heat the oil up and without a pump/reservior for cooling it (and you'll have to find one that can move oil...I doubt water cooling pumps will be up to that task), it will be much worse than air cooling as far as temps go.

+1 for not doing it and going with good old H2O.

hehe, i think do it because its something different and if you wanna play with it go for it. bad idea or not. i wouldn't use a i7 board with it, but a p4 ... sure

If you have some old parts to try it with, go for it.

Vegetable oil will gum up rather quickly, so you might get it to work for a little while.

Back