• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer CPU cooler problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oggy1512

Registered
I start my computer and on monitor is just blank screen. When I remove my cpu cooler from cpu (cpu cooler is still working) I can boot in windows(it doesnt show bios things and boot screen on vista), but when my cooler is attached to cpu monitor gives me blank screen and keyboard also doesnt show anything. What is wrong????????!!!!!:bang head

CPU:Athlon 6400+ 3.2GHz
GPU:geforce 8800GTS 640MB
MBO: Abit AN-M2(i think)
PSU: FSP 700W

P.S.
When there are no screws on cooler it boots(without bios settings) but when cooler is attached with screws it doesn't post anything on monitor

Last edited:
Are you just using the stock cooler? How does the cooler mount if its not the stock heatsink? Is the fan on the cooler plugged into the CPU fan header? What kind of thermal grease are you using?

Its Spire active cooler(dont know model) but I cant put thermal paste on it because it doesnt have nothing accept fan(no heatsink and other things...). I bought it in a shop(whit rest of my parts,wanted zlmans CNPS 9700 but they didn have it) and they put it on a stock passive cooler. Yes its connected on CPU fan header.

First of all, I definitely would NOT try to start your computer without a heatsink installed on the CPU. You are asking for a fried cpu. Second, the cpu you are using (X2 6400+) runs hot even with pretty good air cooling. It is rated at 125 watts of power draw. Having said that, I don't think the chipset of your motherboard is rated to handle 125 watt CPU's. My guess is it is rated to handle a max of 95 watts. The nVidia GeForce 7025/nForce 630a chipset is kind of the equivalent of the AMD 690 series chipsets and they are rated at a max of 95 watts. You need to move up to a board with a heavier duty chipset or get a lower-powered CPU, say one with a Brisbane core. The behavior you describe is typical of situations where the motherboard can't handle the power draw of the cpu. The reason it boots into windows without the cpu cooler hooked up may be due to drawing a little less power without it, esp. if you cooler fan is drawing power directly from pins on the motherboard.

The thermal paste should go between the base of the heatsink and the face of the processor. What do you mean when you say you can't use thermal paste because it only has a fan? Do you mean the heat sink didn't come with any thermal paste when you bought it? If so, you need to get some before you try to attach the heatsink to the cpu socket. You will get very poor heat transfer from the processor to the heatsink without thermal paste. Buy a small tube of Arctic Silver 5. You can get a 3.5 gram tube for $5-$10 dollars at a computer retail store or at Radio Shack. Are you in the US?

Last edited:
O sorry it has heatsink(i listened my brother who sad something...)
Cooler is SPIRE cool king III. What do you mean by ''you cooler fan is drawing power directly from pins on the motherboard.''? will buy the paste and try. Not in US. Croatia

O sorry it has heatsink(i listened my brother who sad something...)
Cooler is SPIRE cool king III. What do you mean by ''you cooler fan is drawing power directly from pins on the motherboard.''? will buy the paste and try. Not in US. Croatia

What I meant by drawing power directly from pins on the motherboard is this: Is the electrical wire that supplys power to the CPU heat sink fan plugging in to a connector on the motherboard? Or is it connecting directly to a lead from the power supply?

The Spire Cool King III should give more or less adequate cooling for the X2 6400+ as long as you don't overclock it and if you have good contact between CPU and heat sink (requires spreading a thin layer of thermal paste). I still don't think your motherboard's electronics will handle a 125 watt cpu, however.

connector is going to motherboard
P.S.-this happened few minutes ago
I screwed the fan back on heatsink and after 1 minute my comp shut down.
Tryed to turn it on again and it doesnt post anything. Now I removed it and turned it on and i'm now in windows but it still didnt post bios settings.
My fan is currently not attached to heatsink and temperature is 80 celsius.

Sorry if its not explained that well

Back