• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did they discontinue the TRUE?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-ninja-

Registered
This is actually a muli question thread.

I have a Xigmatek 1284 right now. I have been thinking about getting a TRUE for my AM2 socket, I cant find a single one in stock anywhere. I have been told they are the best as far as air cooling goes. I would like to try one and see how cool I can get my CPU down to is with air cooling. I am not sure I want to move to liquid cooling yet or not.

I don't know if the TRUE would be worth it from what I am running now. If I got the TRUE I would lap it. My Xigmatek has direct heat pipe transfer. I don't know if that is good to lap or not. I do not want to sand through the actual heat pipe, you know.

To sum up my questions,

Do they still make the TRUE for the AM2?

Would it be worth it to upgrade from my Xigmatek?

Can I lap my Xigmatek with direct heat pipe transfer? I might do this tonight if you guys think it wont be a problem.

Thanks for any help or info.

Did you try here?
http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/thermalright-true-black-120-rev-a-cpu-cooler.html

IMO its not worth it to upgrade from the xigmatek. You would most likely see a slight drop in temps, but not a huge amount.

You have to be very careful with lapping the HDT heatsinks as the pipes are already very thin. IMO its not worth it to lap it.

Did you follow the instructions for installing a HDT HS? i.e fill in the gaps before you mounted it?

Wow. I looked at that site and did not see it there, thanks. I did not know I had to fill in anything when I installed it. I am not sure if I put enough AS5 either. I followed a tutorial for applying thermal paste, but after I put it together and it was working I relized I might have not put enough.

Do you know where I can find the instructions to properly apply the AS5 to the heat pipes.

1. Remove sink.
2. Clean sink with paper towel with rubbing alcohol (or Arctic Clean or similar).
3. Put small dot of preferred TIM on bottom of sink.
4. Use a fresh paper towel to spread the dot onto the surface of the sink, so that gaps are filled. When it is well spread, it should look almost like there's nothing on it (except in the gap between the pipes and the base). Apply more TIM if necessary to make sure the gaps are filled so that they're even with the base surface.
5. Apply a small dot of preferred TIM to the center of the CPU, and mount the sink again.

Is this with a true or an xig? Because my core-contact was pretty flat to begin with and I didn't see that much of a difference between the aluminuim base and the copper heatpipes height wise.

This is with my Xig.

I am not happy with the performance I got. That may be my fault. It wont take much time at all to remove it and re-thermal paste it. While its out, I want to check it to see how straight it is. I would like to lap it, but don't know how much I can go without going through the pipes. I might try the TRUE. I know you guys said it wouldn't be that big of a difference. If the TRUE is supposed to be the best air cooling I can get, I may try it.

I would like to get my temps lower. They are not bad right now but I need them cooler. Right now I am at about 48C under full load with my AMD P2 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.6GHz.

I messed around last night and had it running at 3.8GHz but temps hit 54C so I stopped.

Thanks guys,

I removed my heat sink and cleaned everything up. I checked the bottom plate if the Xig HDT with a straight edge. It was almost perfect. I sanded it, and it took very very little to get it perfect. I figured I would check my chip to. My AMD was off BAD. It had a big high spot on the center. I could actually see my straight edge rock back and forth. So I did a lap job on that as well. That was painful. Prob took me a good hour just to do the processor. Got that perfect filled in the bottom of the HDT as per the guide, put a pea sized drop on the chip and put it back together. Fired it up ran a stress test and guess what........

48C. That is the same exact temp as before. Ah well at least I know its done.

1. Remove sink.
2. Clean sink with paper towel with rubbing alcohol (or Arctic Clean or similar).
3. Put small dot of preferred TIM on bottom of sink.
4. Use a fresh paper towel to spread the dot onto the surface of the sink, so that gaps are filled. When it is well spread, it should look almost like there's nothing on it (except in the gap between the pipes and the base). Apply more TIM if necessary to make sure the gaps are filled so that they're even with the base surface.
5. Apply a small dot of preferred TIM to the center of the CPU, and mount the sink again.

Wouldn't the paper towel leave residue remnants that would be undesirable? IIRC, back when AS5 was king, they said to use a plastic baggie to do the spreading so that no foreign matter was mixed into the TIM compound. It seems like they also said to use a lint free cloth like a camera lens cloth or a coffee filter.

Wouldn't the paper towel leave residue remnants that would be undesirable? IIRC, back when AS5 was king, they said to use a plastic baggie to do the spreading so that no foreign matter was mixed into the TIM compound. It seems like they also said to use a lint free cloth like a camera lens cloth or a coffee filter.

Coffee filters are the way to go when removing TIM guys. They are lint free and leave behind no residue at all. And use some acetone to get it all off.

Coffee filters are the way to go when removing TIM guys. They are lint free and leave behind no residue at all. And use some acetone to get it all off.

+1

Also, isopropyl alcohol cuts through TIM like butter. Get the highest concentration you can find, like 91%.

i just use cotton balls and iso alc. i know you arent supposed to, but i have learned to leave nothing behind :)

my cpu is sitting at 26c as we speak, with 1.425v :thup:

Thanks for the link, I might think about it.

I did use a 91% IPA and coffee filter to clean to clean, then the plastic bag trick to apply the thermal paste to the bottom of the Xig HDT.

I really thought I would see a difference in lapping the CPU. I think I am convinced that this is roughly the coolest I can get with air cooling. Maybe some better case fans and a better heat sink fan would drop it 1 deg.

Let me ask your opinions while you guys are here.

AMD Phenom II 940 overclocked to 3.6 from 3.0, with the voltage upped to 1.4, Full load temps are 48C. Would you consider that good, or high?

You have this or this? Either way, the specs on those fans are about 57cfm, I would probably try a higher cfm fan like this scythe 133 cfm fan as long as you don't mind 45 Db. If you want you can check around here for quieter fans that still have high cfm.

Thanks for the link, I might think about it.

I did use a 91% IPA and coffee filter to clean to clean, then the plastic bag trick to apply the thermal paste to the bottom of the Xig HDT.

I really thought I would see a difference in lapping the CPU. I think I am convinced that this is roughly the coolest I can get with air cooling. Maybe some better case fans and a better heat sink fan would drop it 1 deg.

Let me ask your opinions while you guys are here.

AMD Phenom II 940 overclocked to 3.6 from 3.0, with the voltage upped to 1.4, Full load temps are 48C. Would you consider that good, or high?

Full load and less than 50c is gold to me. If I can get my i7 to load under70-75c at my oc i'm doing cartwheels around the house lol. Good yob.

Back