• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with my brand new system!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

You_Father_Sky

Registered
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 2.4ghz
Ram: 4 gigs crucial ballistix ddr2 1066
Graphics: Sapphire radeon HD 3850 PCI-E
mobo: Asus P5QL Pro
Case: antec P182
PSU: seasonic m12 500w
HDD: 2 WD 160gb

Ok so I finally hit my wall with my p4 system and I figured HEY why not stick it to the recession by spending a wad of money to build a new system! Now I used the sata hard drives from my p4 system and i figured i could throw them in and windows would boot up as per usual but with some added pizazz.

So I put together the above system which took my a good part of the afternoon (first time I built a computer physically) I get through the bios and everything seems good (I think) and it boots to xp's login screen. But the resolution is all messed up. Ok so yeah, I need to install the drivers for the video card k, I was using a 3850 AGP but i needed the pci-e version for the new build to stick with the same card so it probably needs new drivers as well. But I go to login and my mouse wont work... it's a razer, the drive has the drivers on it. it wont work with a ps2 connector and wont even light up when in usb. Did I mess something up, am I missing something in the process of building this comp? can I not just change out the hardware then use my drives? Please help, I need to get my new computer working, I can't edit audio without a mouse!

cheers.
les sigh.

to my understanding, your computer shoudln't boot if you have completely different hardware. i would format and reinstall Windows before anything else.
i heard/read somewhere that your OS harddrive links itself with the motherboard you install Windows on. then when you change that motherboard you won't be able to go into Windows. this could be just BS though. see what somebody else says :)

does your keyboard work?

yeah my keyboard was working, i was bouncing around with key commands and arrows to try and figure it out without using my mouse lol

its just huge hardware/driver/os conflict is all

you've changed to a drastically different setup and windows needs to be reinstalled completely.

Yep, new rig warrant's a fresh OS install. It will be worth your time.:beer:

i would love to agree. but i just went from a P4 setup with intel board to a evga i7 setup and all xp wanted me to do was reactivate... installed some drivers and i was good :D lucky me i guess. . but yea you are gonna have to start freash.

Back