• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling the back of the motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dapman02

Well, a few days ago I did a little expiriment where I took the back panel off of my case and stressed the cpu. I felt the motherboard tray and it was fairly warm, so I decided to take the old box fan out and cool it off. To my suprise, I dropped my CPU temps 3 degrees!!! and it was still dropping when I removed the fan. Now I have what looks like a 80mm fan addon on the back of my CM690, but non of my 80mm fans seem to fit.
What are some ways to cool the back of your motherboard.

I think the most probable and economical is simply a fan moving all that hot air out of there. I have also noticed that when working on my computer, but I don't have enough room between the tray and the side panel for any type of fan... :/

There are 10mm thick 80mm fans available. Some pretty quiet ones too.
I'd make new holes to make it work.

I always cool the back of the motherboard. Almost all of the heat making components have their contacts through the motherboard, and it's cheap enough to add a small fan with a hole through that side of the case cover.

Dremel time!

theres a zalman 80x15mm fan that would fit on the side of your cm 690
its expensive ($10) and probably not really worth it, but i honestly havent found any other good 80x15mm alternatives

Thought I would give one of those IFX-10 coolers a try. A real pain in the neck to put on with a TRUE but for me it was worth the effort. Dropped temps a fair bit. Could be due to adding a lot more pressure on the CPU from above as well (e.g. similar to washer mod I suppose).

I suppose it would be a tad cooler, but running a high cfm (or low for those who want quiet) would blow all of that hot air out period. My vote goes for a fan that does that... Maybe a new case idea!

I don't think hole was made for cooling, isn't it just there just to help mount heatsinks like the TRUE that require mobo removal? Although it would be great to have a fan there as it did drop your temps.

Is something to consider, maybe transferring some heat out of there I suppose an alternative way. Why Asus puts that Stack Cool 2 on a lot of their MOBO's for transferal of heat that side I guess.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...sk=view&id=171&Itemid=69&limit=1&limitstart=3

Is kinda what they've been doing awhile now on the higher end boards, pretty much.

Or how giga-byte has the whole 2 oz. of copper per board. I'm sure that transfers some heat away from the cpu and throughout the board instead.

My new case (Thermaltake Spedo) has a built in 120mm fan hole for the backside of the cpu. But Ive got to wait on my new motherboard to get in so i can test it.
042909_001700.jpg
042909_001900.jpg
042909_001901.jpg
sorry for the crappy phone pics is all Ive got right now

Looks pretty slick actually would like to mod mine that way but probably won't take everything apart again on this baby I guess...

Hmm. Wouldn't be too hard to do something I guess just the hassle :)

I guess the rear panel on that case offset a bit farther I'd figure. Most case's Id guess youd have to cut the back panel all the way around fan and mount some kind of external offset grill or filter, at least a filter would be easy to get too that way.

Frig if was gonna go through the trouble I'd do two and put one down lower near the NB and SB backside offset diagonally a bit. Maybe a slightly smaller one.

Last edited:
Well, a few days ago I did a little expiriment where I took the back panel off of my case and stressed the cpu. I felt the motherboard tray and it was fairly warm, so I decided to take the old box fan out and cool it off. To my suprise, I dropped my CPU temps 3 degrees!!! and it was still dropping when I removed the fan. Now I have what looks like a 80mm fan addon on the back of my CM690, but non of my 80mm fans seem to fit.
What are some ways to cool the back of your motherboard.

I use a 70x15mm amd cpu cooler fan with my CM690. It is a little smaller then the 80mm fan port, so I Secured it with two long zip ties. These are great little fans and most of us have them on hand already. I think that I will unplug it to see if the temp at 100% increases without it.

Dave

I think it is time to draw a picture!!! Pics in a moment, I have to draw it and scan. Here we go :D Probably some 120mm yate loons or a couple 140mm if you really want. And what isn't specified here is that the fans are actually sticking out the side of the case... Lol I don't mind what my case really looks like.

Mobocooling.jpg

Last edited:
Back