• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking at a new HSF what would you recommend?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SeanChiarot

I am looking into a new heatsync for my computer, i was planning on liquid cooling, as i know its better, but my problem is that the case is heavy enough as it is, and until i get more income and am able to build a lan computer, im stuck carrying my main rig around...

Proc = AMD 7750 Black Edition
Mobo = Asus M3N72-D
Case = Antec 1200 so room isnt an issue....

the ones i am looking at are....
Coolermaster V10
Coolermaster V8
and Spawn-Inc had suggested the thermalright ultra 120 extreme but when i did a search on NCIX i came across 2 of them, and cant seem to figure out what the difference is
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme 6 Heatpipe Cooler AM2 Heatsink 120MM Fan 1000RPM 15.8DBA 38.9CFM
Thermalright ULTRA-120 Extreme AM2-RT Heatpipe Cooler AM2/AM2+ Heatsink W/ 120MM 1000RPM 15.8DBA Fan

so im wondering what to go for? and if you guys have any other suggestions.......

Not sure what the difference is. Does the "RT" stand for retail? Maybe different packaging or extras included like when you buy a retail processor instead of an OEM and get a cpu cooler included.

i know its been driving me nuts, all i know is i need something better then the stock before i OC...... dont want to fry my 7750, sure there cheap, but still, dont want to fry it

Sean, get the TRUE, it's absolute tops and will fit in your case. Slap two Yate Loon meduims on it and your golden. It's good stuff. Go to the Thermalright web page and figure out what exactly you need, they have a good web page.

alrighty ^_^ looks like the TRUE is my choice, thanks!

woulda thought that the V10 would abeen better, because of more heat distribution.... but looks like the TRUE is my best bet after feed back from here and reading a few reviews / temp readings on them both..... thanks

i'm Anti-coolermast :santa:
i recommend the TRUE.
the temp diff between the TRUE and V8 is varied, depending on what website and what setup they use. you also got to consider how they mounted the TRUE, what fans they used etc etc...

the V8 is also more expensive where i live, and i personally like the TRUE better. the more customisation ability the better (don't think you can change the V8's fan).

i'm Anti-coolermast :santa:
i recommend the TRUE.
the temp diff between the TRUE and V8 is varied, depending on what website and what setup they use. you also got to consider how they mounted the TRUE, what fans they used etc etc...

the V8 is also more expensive where i live, and i personally like the TRUE better. the more customisation ability the better (don't think you can change the V8's fan).

you can change the fan on the V8.... i just did =D

i went out and got the V8 (was on sale, and i dont plan on OCing TO much, only about 3.4

so i installed it and am monitoring the temps and Core Temp is reporting 50C at idle, is this good?

I'm not familiar with that particular CPU, but that sounds awfully high for a 95W TDP dual core at idle.

already got the V8 from Coolermaster,

and the 50 was bad <.<, computer shut down within 5 min, hahaha, back to stock and at a chilly 20C's, so i think im just going to get this HSF installed for me, seeing as i ****ed up somewhere >.<

by TIM im guessing you mean the thermal paste?

i cleaned off the CPU with ear cleaners + 70% rubbing alch solution, let it sit for about 45 min while i ate supper (and to let fumes evaportae :p)

put a little dab of thermal paste onto the cpu and used my finger to spead it, and got it as thin as i could, i did get a sugestion to try a razer blade to spread it, so next time i head into town im going to get some blade and try that

Sorry, TIM = Thermal Interface Material. No need to spread at all. Especially not with your finger. The oils from your hand don't jive well with the TIM. Just put a BB-sized dab in the middle of the CPU, mount the cooler on there and give it a little downward pressure while twisting the HSF back and forth just a little bit (usually as far as the mounting system will allow, but I'm not familiar with the V8's mounting system, so use your own judgement)..

by TIM im guessing you mean the thermal paste?

i cleaned off the CPU with ear cleaners + 70% rubbing alch solution, let it sit for about 45 min while i ate supper (and to let fumes evaportae :p)

put a little dab of thermal paste onto the cpu and used my finger to spead it, and got it as thin as i could, i did get a sugestion to try a razer blade to spread it, so next time i head into town im going to get some blade and try that

Don't try to spread it by yourself. Simply mounting the cooler with a pretty good mounting system is enough to spread it out evenly after applying a tad bit of pressure.

Sorry, TIM = Thermal Interface Material. No need to spread at all. Especially not with your finger. The oils from your hand don't jive well with the TIM. Just put a BB-sized dab in the middle of the CPU, mount the cooler on there and give it a little downward pressure while twisting the HSF back and forth just a little bit (usually as far as the mounting system will allow, but I'm not familiar with the V8's mounting system, so use your own judgement)..

Don't try to spread it by yourself. Simply mounting the cooler with a pretty good mounting system is enough to spread it out evenly after applying a tad bit of pressure.

hmmmm didnt know that, i though YOU (well me...) had to spread it with some object insted of just placing a dab and wiggling arround the HSF, thanks for the advice!, will give it a shot in the morning, and shall report the results :)

Yupp, I actually spent a while last night tinning my cooler and then making sure I had a good tim application. It has dropped tmeps about 1-2* from just a dab because I have a HDT cooler.

well i just got off the phone with my comp store, they will do it for me AND overclock my rig for only 15 bucks :D, so i think im just going to "Leave it to the pro's" hahahaha

Back