• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dragonstorm2254

Registered
guys i know this this system can do way better than this.3d score was 12000

system specs:
m4a78t-e---MB
HD4870---video
Phenum 2 810 x4 AM3---cpu
g.skill 2g x3=6g ddr3 1333---ram

i tryed using amd overdrive and run autotune but it doesn't work,after about 30 sec the computer shutsdown and reboots. but there is no change to the settings when it comes back.this thing should scream i would think, being the dragon platform.any inputs,ideas.. guys?

Well, you beat my score... Hahaha. But anyway, forgot Amd Overdrive, that is garbage for any real oc'ing. I suggest starting by going to a series of websites: Cpuid, Core temp and Prime 95. At the first, you want to download an application called "cpu-z" for checking cpu, mobo and ram settings. At the second, obviously download coretemp, 0.99.5 beta works for me, but 0.99.4 works good too. And Prime 95 is a stress testing application to make sure your oc's are stable.

system specs:
m4a78t-e---MB
HD4870---video

i tryed using amd overdrive and run autotune but it doesn't work,after about 30 sec the computer shutsdown and reboots. but there is no change to the settings when it comes back.this thing should scream i would think, being the dragon platform.any inputs,ideas.. guys?

:welcome: to OCF!
What are your goals? 12000 is not bad. Taking that system any higher will require some learning. I'd suggest Dolk's guide to the phenom 2 for starters. If you have any questions after that... we're here to help :)

what 3d score exactly are we talking about if it's vantage thats a pretty good score considering I do around 10100 but if it's Mark06 with a gtx260core216 which really is neck to neck in performance with your card I get about 16700-16800. Before I went to vista I was scoring 17500-17800 with XP Pro. Vista cut about 1000 points off my score.

edit. With Brisbane 5000+ dual core (oc'ed to 3.08ghz) I was at 12000-13000 range just to give you a reference.

im using a AIO-S80DP, And the power supply is a thermatake black widow 850w.

that score was from 3dmark06..

i have also looked at newegg and thought about going getting 2 HD 4870x2
and sli them..plus upgrade the cpu to the 955 black edition.i dont know what the heck is going on but it seems like something is holding it back. i would also like som imput on hardware if that is my problem.i love amd,but i have also thought about going with intels i7 but i cant justify that kind of money

oh and im also running vista 64bit home prem.

Last edited:
I am gonna take an educated guess here but I am guessing maybe it is your ram, I noticed you have 3, but with that mobo (which is the same as mine) it does not support triple channel kits. Try removing the 3rd ram, place the other two in the slots closest to the cpu and try running a test.

just a rough guess but I think that (2) 4870x2 would be overkill unless you were gaming at a seriously high resolution plus it would present a possible (note possible just a theory) bottleneck with all that gpu power. The 4850x2's are supposed to beat a gtx 280 and maybe even a gtx 285 hands down and would be a force to be reckoned with at a price of about 60% of (2) 4870x2's. Tomshardware.com did a "Best Cards April 2009" article and they found for quite a few of the price points the 4850x2 was the one to beat. Or better yet Buy another 4870 and do sli with it, but the 4850's are a little more powerful.

Sorry Typo....:screwy:...Meant to say 4850 x 2 was more powerful than a singular 4870 and that crossfiring 2 of the 4850x2's would be more powerful than buying an additional 4870 and crossfiring 2 of those. sorry

Last edited:
your probly right,,so i will go with just one. now are you saying the 4850x2 is better than the 4870x2? and now i see there is a 4890...

on a different note i have just spent a few hrs tring to O.C. this dang thing in bios and i cant get it past 2.8g and its factory at 2.6 i also took out the single mem stick and ran the test and it made no difference....i seem to be in a black hole

no Dragonstorm I did'nt mean that (2) 4850x2's were more powerful than (2) 4870x2's, just that if your looking at it from a cost factor the 4870x2's would cost you $738 for both cards whereas the 4850x2's would cost you about $488 for both cards. For that extra difference you could pay for your 955. It about $$$$$ but if you want to pay for the best, by all means the 4870x2's are stronger than the 4850x2's.
Dont know how accurate these are but the 2 cards are very close and when you crossfire I understand it's not a true double performance increase.
However for just one card the 4870x2 maybe a better deal.

Supposedly it bottlenecks your overall computer. I am not too knowledgeable in that area, so hopefully someone else can explain it better.

mainly due to limitation of a 32-bit OS and the fact that the gains are small and limited to certain intensive app and games. You need 64-bit for windows to address all 4gb of memory for the os, on 32-bit you are limited. Windows 32-bit can only address 4gb and of that 4 it has to take into account any add on cards with memory, such as video cards. So If you have 4gb installed in ram plus a 4870x2 with 2gb ddr5 you have a total of 6gb of memory of which windows can only use 4. The other 2 go to waste and I believe create something called a memory hole. Maybe someone with greater knowledge of this can step in and explain better.
I see that you are using 64bit os, good move your headed in the right direction.

Also I have heard that the IMC (integrated memory controllers) on the cpu have a harder time dealing with more memory or at least with more physical sticks of ram, I recently bought some ddr2 1066 (4gb) and was told that it was better to get (2) -- 2gb sticks than to get (4)---1gb sticks because it puts more stress on the memory controller and limits overclocking.

just a rough guess but I think that (2) 4870x2 would be overkill unless you were gaming at a seriously high resolution plus it would present a possible (note possible just a theory) bottleneck with all that gpu power. The 4850x2's are supposed to beat a gtx 280 and maybe even a gtx 285 hands down and would be a force to be reckoned with at a price of about 60% of (2) 4870x2's. Tomshardware.com did a "Best Cards April 2009" article and they found for quite a few of the price points the 4850x2 was the one to beat. Or better yet Buy another 4870 and do sli with it, but the 4850's are a little more powerful.

Nope, the 4870 is a tad faster than the 4850, being as it has a higher number... 70 vs 50. And I doubt you will need two 4850x2's. Let me remind you the x2 part of the 4850 means it is two gpu's. So running four gpu's would be total overkill. I bet two 4870's will work just fine for your purposes.

Thanks chance for putting me in line I edited my original post and duhhhh I know that the higher model numbers are better unless you are talking about dual gpu's on same card (with exception of 9800gx2 which was a flop) Also notice I referred him to buy another 4870, but I meant to say that 2 of the 4850x2 would be more powerful than 2 of the 4870 single gpu cards.

Thanks chance for putting me in line I edited my original post and duhhhh I know that the higher model numbers are better unless you are talking about dual gpu's on same card (with exception of 9800gx2 which was a flop) Also notice I referred him to buy another 4870, but I meant to say that 2 of the 4850x2 would be more powerful than 2 of the 4870 single gpu cards.

Ahh, I see. I agree 100% in buying another 4870. X-fire 4870's would beat a 4850 x2 anyday. And might be a tad cheaper if you buy the 4870's from a place like ocforums.

system specs:
m4a78t-e---MB
HD4870---video

:welcome: to OCF!

AOD and Autotune are OK for a quick look at what your rig can do but it's really not the way to OC.

The guys are right about the RAM - you need to loose the 3rd stick. Try putting the RAM in the 1st and 3rd slots then run CPU-Z
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
Look in the upper right corner of the memory tab - next to "Channels #" it should read "Dual". If it's doesn't then switch the RAM from slot #3 to slot #2.

Next, take a tour through Dolk's Guide to the Phenom II:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=5988622#post5988622

That will explain how to OC your system in steps. After you've read through that any questions are more than welcome. OC'ing is a learning experience because every machine is a little different - no one can give you list of settings that are guaranteed to work. At best all anyone can do is make suggestions and wait for your results ... :)

I just noticed, you said you are using 3x sticks of ddr3?

Phenom 2 is only dual channel ddr3 (in fact triple channel vs dual channel = 0-3% performance gain est, ie pointless). One of those sticks is running single channel mode and likely dragging your score down.

Also, unfortunately, that 810 has less cache then the rest of the phenom II's. This is why everyone was waiting for the 945/955 to run ddr3 with them.

here is a a shot of what cpu-z says
12.jpg

i thought it was supposed to handel it being its socket AM3

Back