• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Project] Uninterestingly Named Project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This idea came about when there was talk of attending QuakeCon. Why would you go to QuakeCon without something related to Quake? Well, not to be left out, I decided to fix that.
Start with some old steel case that has no purpose other than my sadistic amusement. It can also function as a nightstand, footrest, or several of them arranged to make a coffee table.
P1000145.jpg
I actually have three of these cases. The other one is holding up the box with my Gainstown system on it.
P1000148.jpg
I did find this:
P1000146.jpg
The ever so original (for a casemod) Quake 3 logo will be cut out and mesh placed behind it. I will probably have to find some way to spruce up the edges.

Plain side panel. Booooring.
P1000136.jpg
Placement
P1000137.jpg
Transfer
P1000139.jpg
Penciled in. I set this aside for later. It needs to be cut and sanded.
P1000141.jpg
Blech. Have to cut it here because of image limits

Last edited:
Continued

Here's the other side panel. Meh. Boring and beige. My hands shake too much for one handed shooting.
P1000143.jpg
Tools and safety are important. :cool:
P1000147.jpg
Of course I need a table. Two sawhorses and a board will do.
P1000149.jpg
I got this far before I called it quits for the night. I'll have to get more sandpaper methinks. -4/27
P1000207.jpg

Crap, Just realized I posted these backwards
*Update*
Ran into a rain delay on Wednesday (4/29). Then I got really busy with school work. Hope to get something done on Monday (5/4).
Order also fixed.
5/4- Paper due tomorrow.

Last edited:
Looks good, I hope it turns out well, looks like the cut should go pretty smoothly :D

(as far as getting them backwards, Edit away :D)

With school winding down I don't have as much time to work on this as I'd like. I do, however, have a small update.
First I got these:
P1000211.jpg

I mean these:
P1000212.jpg
I got a pretty decent price on them. They also did this:
P1000334.jpg

Got the logo started. Began by carving a the outline. I like to do this to make sort of a guide.
P1000336.jpg

Only got one piece cut out :(
P1000358.jpg

Remember the hole saw up there^^? It's for this:
P1000368.jpg

That is going to be a loud PC with those high powered fans..

You would be surprised. At 5v they are actually pretty quiet. This system isn't going to be silent by any means, but it won't sound like a dustbuster or like it is going to take off.

Back to the update:

Got some more parts:

Radiators and a pump.
P1000370.jpg
P1000374.jpg

Screws for the fans. M4x8 sockethead.
P1000382.jpg
They look like this installed.
P1000388.jpg

That's all for today. Had a helluva finishing up school with papers and whatnot. Next update will be kinda big (hopefully) as I am getting some more parts and got the fans and rads all set up. Then it's back to work for more money for more parts:thup:

EDIT: Have another update pending, but I can't get to my pictures right now, due to some minor work I need to do on the system I have them on. You know, like reinstalling Windows :p I can't wait too long, I need those pics for Sat. (Grad Party) Cross your fingers for Sunday.

Last edited:
Well so much for a timely update. Anyway, I got the side rough cut. I need to bust out the file and deburr and smooth the edges.
P1010075.jpg
It's see through!
P1010087.jpg

Got some parts for the actual computer (the good stuff).
Got an E7400 from a friend.
P1010008.jpg
Closer
P1010014.jpg
I'll drop this on a DFI P45 Dark and the PCP&C box seemed to match, so I threw that in too. Hopefully I don't need a beefier supply.
P1010103.jpg
Unpacked
P1010114.jpg
I figured now would e a great time to try it out. Took a Scythe Ninja and threw it on there. (So, there wasn't so much throwing as there was cursing and wishing I could use a screwdriver. Did I mention I hate pushpins? SRSLY; look at those things.)
P1010122.jpg
P1010128.jpg
I was so excited. And then, nothing. Post code 88. Tried it with a P4 I had and got the same thing. It should be on it's way back from RMA now.

On the waterfront, I got some things setup.
XSPC top donated by skinnee. (Thanks man!)
P1010042.jpg
A spoonful of solder makes the water go down. Figured since I already had it apart to change the top, I might as well make it a 3.2. Did I mention I'm kinda cheap?
P1010032.jpg
Yay! Free pump upgrade!
At this point I realize I forgot to upload pics of the completed rads.(It won't let me put the bang head smilie here, so just imagine it.)

i just picked up one of those hole saws the other day too..jesus they will set you back a bit ..omg man you got ur self good with those fans, wow whats the cfm?

i just picked up one of those hole saws the other day too..jesus they will set you back a bit ..omg man you got ur self good with those fans, wow whats the cfm?
They are the same fans you would find here. Yes, those hole saws are a bit pricey, especially when you get up to the 4 3/4" range. I did save quite a bit getting it through McMaster rather than buying locally. Not sure exactly how much, but I do know an arbor is something like $30 at Menards:rolleyes:

Well, turns out the PSU was the culprit. Tried a NeoHE I wasn't using and everything worked fine. Not sure what's up with that...

Did some experimenting with the rattlecans. My idea is to have it look black from far away, but be a very dark green close up. I first thought British Racing Green would be perfect, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I don't exactly have to tools to use automotive paint.:cry:

Upped pics of the rads. Before anyone freaks out, There will be no wires visible once everything is done.
P1000935.jpg
P1000956.jpg
Yes, that is electrical tape:D
P1000931.jpg

All (6) of the fans are set to run at 5v. I don't think it's all that loud, but it does have a nice "rumble":D

I have a lot of things to do tomorrow, and I leave Saturday morning, until the 28th. Next updates will be OCing progress (got it stable at 333x10.5, btw) and paint:attn:

those sanyo dankis are such an overkill for swiftech rads lol , but they are great fans . What else you going to have in that loop beside the CPU ?

Back