• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

northbridge / south bridge rampage cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ekko

hi guys i'm looking for advice with my new rampage formula board.
i need better cooling for it..
it runs hot and need a lot of voltage for what i wanna do..
is there any better coolers out there then whats currently on the board?
i know this thing is loaded with copper so i wanna find some better cooling if possible..
i see a few interesting things..
one that comes to mind is this swiftech cooler..
this thing looks like a monster ...
and i wanna do air only no water please..
please note that i have the tuniq tower cpu cooler which is a quite big block ...
thank you for your help.

Your best bet is to remove the SB/NB and mosfet cooler, remove the stock TIM on the SB & NB and use better stuff like AS5 or Ceramique. After remounting them, use a 60/70mm fan right atop the NB sink.

DSC00006_edited-1.jpg

thankyou verry much for that...interesting thought...
i added fan dropped my temps from 65c overclocked to 50c
and that fan is connected via the tuniq tower outside mount i made...
its amazing the amount of air that blows off it on the chipset ..but maybe this is better....
im going to look into it..you do think an aftermarket is not going to be better?

Nahh, because you'll need aftermarket cooling on all 3: SB/NB & both sets Mosfets ( Leftside & top). You're better off just doing what I did.

I have really never had issues with overheating on the sb and mosfets even though the nvidia mcp's are supposed to suck a lot more volts than the ati... I have always run +0.03 volts on the chipset because I have a raised pci clock and it never gets over 50 in my case. I don't actually know the fet temps, but there are a couple fans right next to them. Also note that I put mx-2 on all the fets and on the sb.

Nice looking Rampage there Nebulous :)

I'm gonna have to take a few pics sometime of my rigs I guess, have had luck running this relatively fast on air with an Antec 1200 and a few extra fans here and there, still was gonna crack it open again and maybe move a HD and put my wind tunnel back in here.

It's pretty stable for what I'm doing on air as is atm I guess.

Not really too familiar with the Tuniq cases myself, 1200 are good for airflow or a HAF, might be a start for air cooling, to get back on topic to start with :)

Last edited:
Here is an older pic of what I had done with the sb. I couldn't take it any longer though because it is so loud (really old fan off of a Pentium II heatsink).

SBfan.jpg

thats cool..i orderd some little fans i dont know how the heck im going to pull this mod off lol..
let me think, then ill tell ya lol

Is a bit of a hacky solution maybe, but the way my Rampage is set up my video card in the top slot, I have a 60MM fan looks same size as Nebs just resting on it at a 45 degree angle outside of my ram aimed at the NB and the ram gets part of it too and does a really decent decent job here. Better than a few things I'd tried.

Air flow goes from the bottom half of the ram over all the copper. And the CPU fan cools top half of ram, as I dont have that nice water pipe room, that big honking CPU cooler blocks a lot I guess.

Have to see what happens when I get my TRUE copper, have been looking at em for ages I finally just broke down and grabbed one before they disappear forever :)

:beer:

I might even have to make a NB cooling fan mounting system as Ill have to make a support rail for that frigging thing, I think I've something rolling around in my head atm :)

Last edited:
after im finished modding my high airflow case then we will see what the temps are lookin like.
you can see it at ...
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=608171

also keep in mind i have the tuniq tower in the way so i cannot just put fans in there so easily.

but on another note once i take out the rear 80mm fan and put in a 120mm fans there should be a big air flow difference there also.

Back