• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Distro of Ubuntu do I get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

updawg

StarCraft II Fanatic
I've only installed Ubuntu once before and my wireless network card wasn't supported natively and had to use ndiswrapper. But I hear that great strides that have been made since then and am wondering what would be a good fit for my laptop.

2.8 P4 400 MHZ (not a mobile processor)
1 Gig of ram
Crappy Intel Video Chipset with 64mb
1024x768 resolution screen.

Please help me! Thanks

Get 9.04 that is the most recent version that came out a few days ago. Just get the x86 desktop edition. Your laptop is more then capable of running the desktop edition. Don't need to get the netbook version.

I would wait for Mint 7 an ubuntu derivative which has by default better media support and hardwear support out of the box imho

My laptop has bits of hardwear which work out of the box in Mint but need added effort to make work under ubuntu

I would wait for Mint 7 an ubuntu derivative which has by default better media support and hardwear support out of the box imho

My laptop has bits of hardwear which work out of the box in Mint but need added effort to make work under ubuntu

I definately agree! However we don't really have an ETA on Mint 7. As soon as it comes out I am definately switching. It has the reputation for being "Ubuntu done right"

I definately agree! However we don't really have an ETA on Mint 7. As soon as it comes out I am definately switching. It has the reputation for being "Ubuntu done right"

Mints the reason im not installing the latest Ubuntu, im still using Mint6 and will do so until 7 turns up, im a big Ubuntu fan but i like the finish of Mint so much more as you say "its ubuntu done right" :D

ive not actually tried Mint with software raid but if its an area which has been worked on by the Mint team I would expect it to work reasonably well, its simply ubuntu with a bit more care taken on certain area's

Get 9.04 that is the most recent version that came out a few days ago. Just get the x86 desktop edition. Your laptop is more then capable of running the desktop edition. Don't need to get the netbook version.

I don't necessarily agree. I've seen a lot of laptop users on the Ubuntu forums complaining about this or that driver not being fully implemented yet.

In my opinion, Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid is better for laptops at this time. Wait a month or so, then ask around the forums for opinions on 9.04's maturity... THEN use the built in Ubuntu upgrade tool to upgrade to 9.04. My main gaming rig is 8.10 upgraded to 9.04 and speaking from a very picky Overclocker's standpoint, there was no loss in performance or stability using the upgrade tool. It's not like windows update at all. Ubuntu Update is flawless.

You aren't missing out on a whole lot by not using the bleeding edge Ubuntu version the moment it comes out. Laptops take time to make drivers for and even my Wife's System 76 Pangolin (Native Linux Performance Laptop) has issues with 9.04.

So please, save yourself a lot of time and headaches and just wait on 9.04 for at least a month. You'll thank me later.

I've only installed Ubuntu once before and my wireless network card wasn't supported natively and had to use ndiswrapper. But I hear that great strides that have been made since then and am wondering what would be a good fit for my laptop.

2.8 P4 400 MHZ (not a mobile processor)
1 Gig of ram
Crappy Intel Video Chipset with 64mb
1024x768 resolution screen.

Please help me! Thanks

Thats better then the laptop I have and I am running Mint without an issue.

Be careful with 9.04 there is issues with the newest Intel video drivers.

Back