• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Back to folding once again

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CaptnBackfire87

Hey guys, I've been out of the fold for a while. I've had two little PCs folding that I'd forgotten about, but that was only raking in around 200 ppd total. Just recently put the SMP client on a laptop and desktop. Both turned in their first work units this morning. FahMon is saying they should put out around 1600 ppd all together. I know its not much, but every little bit helps. Good to be back!

Folding under the name R^2

:santa::santa:

Good to see you back :)

Will you be joining in with the chimp challenge?

Going to repost a quest I asked from another thread about VMware folding.

I've got a question about the VMWare/Diskless Folder setup. I'm running this on a 32-bit Vista Laptop(3 gigs of ram). When I boot up the VM in VMPlayer it gives me two options: Running "fold" or "fold64". It tells me I'm not able to to run fold64. I've got it set up and folding under my username, but I don't think its running SMP work units. Its currently running two clients, one which is working on a P2499 and the other a P2498, both of these are running on FahCore_78, which I didn't think was an SMP core. Is there something I can do different here to get it to work on SMP units? It is taking about an hour per frame on these work units, which is much less PPD than I was getting from the Windows SMP client.

What CPU do you have? I assume that it supports virtualization, since you are able to run the VMplayer. But does it support EM64T (64-bit operation)? If it does not, then you probably won't be able to run fold64.

What CPU do you have? I assume that it supports virtualization, since you are able to run the VMplayer. But does it support EM64T (64-bit operation)? If it does not, then you probably won't be able to run fold64.

I'm currently trying to get it to run on 3 computers(2 laptops and 1 desktop)

Laptop CPU:
Intel Pentium Dual Core T4200 @ 2.00 GHz
Intel Core 2 T5500 @ 1.66 GHz(currently getting around 800 ppd on the windows smp client)

Desktop:
Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ @ 2.5 GHz(currently getting 930 ppd on the windows smp client).

Under Performance Info and Tools in the Vista Control Panel, all three computers say "Yes" for 64-bit capable. All are currently running Vista Home Premium 32-bit

Well, I figured out the problem, Intel Virtualization Technologgy is turned off by default in the BIOS on all three computers, which is keeping VMware from being able to run the 64-bit OS. Which is why it can't get SMP WU's. The only one with the option to turn it on is the Desktop, going to have a go at that now, and see if I can't get it to work there. Not sure what to do about the two laptops.

Edit: It's currently working on the desktop. Just downloaded and started working on a P5102. Waiting for the first frame to come in. One thing I do notice that is different is that it is not using 100% of the CPU. It is ranging anywhere from 85-95% with the rest being Idle. Is there a way around this?

Last edited:
Back