• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what temps do i look at?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joedymueller

3490701787_279fc3f4f5.jpg

Screen of my CPU temps. which temps should I be alarmed by?

the 4 cores at 80+ or when the main CPU gets to 80?

and should it fluctuate so badly? i run a few VMwares and it jumps to 80 instantly and when i turn them off temp drop to 60 instantly...

I'd be looking at the core temps. 80º instantly means that staying under load for hours will likely reduce the lifespan of your cpu dramatically. I assume that the "CPU" temp is the NB?

System = Northbridge
CPU = Case temps of the CPU (the part that touches the HS)
Core Temps = the part UNDER the casing, (the actual cores)

You should be looking at the highest core temps, in your case, 84c.

what HFS are you running? i7's do run hot, cant go by old cpu's for looking at temps with i7. many seem to run 80c max, since it has a 100c tj, that would be a 20c buffer to TJ. though i dont like high temps my safe zone i keep mine at is mid 70's. the max it sees on a ninja hs is 75 during the day and at night i never see it go above 70c. that is at clocks in sig, so something doesnt seem right if your hitting that high for 3ghz. though i would suspect your running the stock sink but that may be wrong. since i have seen a few reporting 90c's on stock cooling at stock speeds...

well i took alook and well the stock fan is bull s@#$.. 2 of the 4 ...press pins were not even in the motherboard any more...

so i went and got a 120x3 rad and am going to water cool it. so that should solve that.

i thought 80 was hot even for the i7's ill post what i get with water later when im done installing/leak testing.

well i took alook and well the stock fan is bull s@#$.. 2 of the 4 ...press pins were not even in the motherboard any more...

so i went and got a 120x3 rad and am going to water cool it. so that should solve that.

i thought 80 was hot even for the i7's ill post what i get with water later when im done installing/leak testing.
right 80c is boardline since the TJmax is 100c... following the rule of them about TJ from Core 2's is that a 20c buffer is needed when ocing/underload.

Back