• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about swapping AM2 and 939 heatsinks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Old Thrashbarg

I'm considering swapping the heatsinks on my two AMD systems. One is an overclocked S939 Opteron 165, the other is a stock speed AM2 BE-2400 45W. The Opteron is using the stock AMD heatpipe cooler, the AM2 is using a Thermaltake TR2-R1.

The reason I want to do this is because of noise. The AMD heatpipe cooler is noticeably quieter, probably because of the variable fan speed, which the TR2 lacks. (I don't really care about noise on the 939 system, but I would like the AM2 machine to be quieter.)

First of all, will the swap work? I know the TR2 supports 939, but will the stock 939 cooler work on an AM2 board? I can't find a definite answer one way or the other. It looks like it should work, but I'd like to know for sure before I pull everything apart.

Secondly, how about cooling performance? The 45W CPU in the AM2 machine doesn't need a whole lot of cooling, so that doesn't really matter, but how would the TR2 work with the considerably higher-wattage Opteron? I can't find a good comparison of performance between the two heatsinks.

Back