• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Choice for AM2 Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theendisgone

Hi,

I'm going to purchase a new motherboard and was wondering which is the best choice for overclocking, I have been looking at the Foxconn A7DA-S which seems a good contender. I will be using the AMD Phenom 940.

What would you guys recommend?

I would say this one. Barring that, get one with a 790FX NB and an SB750 with 8+2 phase power.

Good luck with whatever you get. :beer:

R7

R7 has most of that right - but the SB750 really isn't needed for a 940BE. A 790FX or 790GX chipset with SB600 is still a great choice as is a 790X with SB600 and a BIOS update. IMO, the most important part is the 8+ power planes (and I couldn't find out if the Foxconn's are 4+1, 8+1, or 8+2 :-/) ...

Last edited:
Even tho SB750 is not needed, it's good to have... The best bang per buck, from numbers, is the Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P. 8+2 power phase, SB750, 790X NB, Gigabyte quality. What's not to love for ~110 $?

That board indeed looks like the best choice. It is that cheap b/c of the 790X chipset which is on pair with 790GX, but w/o onboard video.

Back