• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HR-03GTX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freeagent

So! my cooler came for me yesterday. i attempted to put it on my gtx285.. but guess what?

it doesnt fit! from the vrm cooler, to the mem sinks. WTF!

Does Zotac use a non-referance design or something?

So im kinda miffed. I was extremely hungover when i found out it wasnt going to work.

then i had to go to work lol.

and that, is my luck :mad:

Since nearly everything is one piece in the GTX kit, Ill safely assume that it's made for reference cards and it wont fit yours because it sounds like zotac made your as non reference. I talked to a zotac representative once. He told me nearly all cards made by them are made by them, not referenced unless it just newly released but after awhile they change it.

side question: are the 120mm fan clips in the kitt the same as those on a TRUE?

ahh ****

this one must be for the 65nm one, because it came with the vrm sink. dammit

i could make the mem sinks work, but id have to hack em with a saw, and defile them with a file, lol.

so.. would it be a bad idea to run the card partially nakid? as long as the hsi sink, mems, and gpu are covered, it should be ok, right?

sigh

IKIKUINTHENUTZ, it looks like they are the 90mm clips :(

The cooler was made for the 280 and not for the 285 so the vrm won't fit, check the compatibility on their page.

Thermalright.com said:
Graphics Cards Compatibilities
nVidia GTX280 & GTX260 ( 65mm )
GTX285 & GTX260 (55nm) ( VRM Heat sink Not include)

yeah i saw that a few days ago.. i thought it was weird that it came with it.. my brick and mortar didnt have them in stock, so he ordered it for me, i assumed he knew what he was looking for, since i told him i had a 285 heh.

you know what happens when you asssume things eh ;)

Thermalright says it fits 120mm fans, http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/vga/hr-03_gtx/product_vga_cooler_hr03gtx.html

so in other words, they are not similar to TRUE fan clips is what your saying...

no, they are way smaller, looks like for a 90mm fan.

Have a look at the Install guide here http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_p...r-03_gtx/installation_vga_cooler_hr03gtx.html

is yours like the 285GTX shown below in the RED with the VRM chipset sinks

ohhhhhh.....

hmm.

well i feel much better today, i was going by the instruction sheet they supplied, it didnt show those pics.. im off at 5 today, i will have to try this again when i get home. if it works, im going to feel like a heel.

ok, do you have to use the vrm sink? the pushpin one? with the 285 that is? i was looking at it before, and there werent really any thermal pads on the stock sink in that area.. im gonna rip it apart maybe today or tommorow, i forgot to print that page while i was at work :thup:

wooo 3 in a row :)

ok, i took it apart and mocked it up.. i have enough pieces to make it happen, but the chip sinks arent quite wide enough to cover the entire chip surface. i can center it, so only the sides are slightly exposed. i took a couple of blurry pix to kind of show you what im talking about. in the pix tho i had the chipsinks right to the edge, just to show how much was exposed.

ok.. well i decided to put it together like in the pic, but it didnt work out so well heheh. the pipes were touching the taller sinks at the back, preventing contact between the two mating surfaces. i booted into window, and watched the temp climp from 65 to 75 in the time it took for me to get to this page, and then to the thermalright page lol. itll work if i grab some flatter sinks, or grind these ones down :)

i think.

but i cleaned up the stock cooler, as slapped some as5 on, and its much better. i had the fan at 100% tho, so that sucked.. but im just breaking in this fresh application, so itll take a bit of time to cure ;)

i dont have any before pics, but heres where it stands for now. ill grab some sinks within the next couple of days :thup:

also, because i didnt print out that page, i couldnt figure out how to get the clips to hold a 120mm fan, but they look like the will hold one. i just used zipties, a simple clip was far too complex for my caveman mind to comprehend, apparently :bang head

VRMs never good to be nakkie.

you need to do some hacking probably.

Get those skinny minis on the top ram sinks. (if that is part of the mounting problem, was on my cooler...battle axe, I had to bend the pipes a bit on mine :p) hack those long n talls for the VRMs. They need cooling.

And get on IM dammit.

Back