• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can I use this sound system on my computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sonex

Ok,
so i was given a 5.1 audio system (speakers + sub), which I belive is for a tv not a computer (it doesnt have a plug for the soundcard)

I am just wondering if it is possible to somehow plug this in my compter and what cables i need to buy.

Note the screenshot of the back of the sub.

From the looks of it all you would need is a 3.5mm (Headphone) jack to phono connecter. The 3.5mm end goes to your PC with the phono end going in your low level input on your SUB. Is there no more inputs on the SUB to get a true Dolby 5.1 sound?

thats all the plugs that i can see at the back :(

What do you think this sub was made for ?

also could you give me a link to a pic of what this connecter looks like, I dont even know where to buy this.

O yea , also there are two low level audio input plugs, which one do i need to use? - in fact i dont know what any of those plugs are for, where do my speakers go lol

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-5mm-Jack-PC...0|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1308|301:1|293:1|294:50

This is what you want. The phono end (The red & white plugs) will go to your low level input. You may need to turn down the volume on your PC first. If you can hear crackles through your speakers then turn down the volume from your PC until the sound is clear then you can use the volume on your 5.1 setup. You will never get a "true" 5.1 sound using the low level input but if thats the only input it has then the SUB will convert the sound and you will get virtual 5.1 sound. The "rear out" is where your surround speakers will go, These should be placed slightly behind you and at ear height. The center input is for your center speaker and should be placed directly below or above your screen, And your "micro out" is your front left & right speakers witch should also be placed at ear height. Make sure the wire you buy is long enough to go from the PC to the sub. Hope this helps.

BO2GR4wmkKGrHgoH-DwEjlLlfO9BJwroRMI.jpg

thanks guys got it . Also if I do this, the 5.1 wont really work as 5.1 right.. Im being told by someone else that i need an external digital analog converter (via optical or USB) to the L/R input on the amp.. what would that do?

AFAIK, going from analog to digital or visa versa.. You cannot get all 6 channels operating independent without converting the signal. You will get a faux or virtual surround. Which is simply stereo separated for front and back. The setup will not be able to recognize the sub as an independent channel.

You do not need a converter. From the pic your SUB has no digital input and even if you did most PC are ready to output a digital signal. The 3.5mm to RCA is all you need. It won't be true 5.1, but it will beat a standard 2.1 setup.

man what crappy speakers this guy gave me, so what were these intended for anyway? any ideas...

Long as the setup can push both front and rear, keeping the sub mono. It will be a nice sound. Not surround, but the thing will be ok having the front and rear separate right and left. I think.. the mono sub output will be on it's own but aligned on the front channel..

Got to remember.. the old Hi-Fi didn't have anything that was in surround in the time it was out. The faux or emulated surround, is a pleasing way to listen to music.. It does really good I think and has a nice roundness to it.

The SUB will simply take the bass frequencies from the left & right audio channels and feed the mono output to the Bass speaker

yea i currently have some old logitech 5.1 but thats on another computer. This sub seems a lot more powerful according to the readings at the back, which is why i wanted to give it a shot on another computer. I mean they are just sitting here under my bed unused so i thought i would plug them in and see....

All i really want is some hard base , i dont really care if the sound comes out behind me when there is shooting behind me in a game... really i want all speakers give me sound but i dont care about the surround sound..

The SUB will simply take the bass frequencies from the left & right audio channels and feed the mono output to the Bass speaker

Been a bit since I thought of it.
But I think the old receivers took from the front. Since if you didn't have the extra set of speakers for the rear. It would still function correctly. It just used both R/L input for balancing the subs input. Since in Hi-Fi stereo.. It has to be able to read both sides, if it pans from side to side. :D

Why not just use that receiver for just the sub on your computer setup or another setup.. It would power a sub just fine for a 5.1 and use it as the amp. It should be able to pass through the mono signal plenty fine.

All the speakers will output sound and since you not to bothered about "real" surround sound then you should be happy. You can't beat the extra "kick" a SUB gives you! :attn:

So in conclusion, i just get that plug you guys showed me and all speakers will work + the sub , but it will be crap compared to todays 5.1 systems for games :p ??

Hi-Fi stereo sounds really good when you got a nice setup.. Surround is ok for certain applications. If your doing the music thing. Just relax and have all the speakers working.. Not like most surround, where it kicks it into 2.1 which shunts the rear outputs.. When your listening to music and stereo stuff. The Hi-Fi works great for stuff where the source is not encoded to full surround. You get all the speakers working and a a nice warm sound.
If the source media is encoded to surround. all the speakers will work, but in Right and Left.. With being able to fade to front and rear.

It will give full front and rear stereo on that setup. It will not separate it like surround does. You will have front and rear (fader).. Right and left. The sub will just make bump bump bump :D

Hi-Fi stereo sounds really good when you got a nice setup.. Surround is ok for certain applications. If your doing the music thing. Just relax and have all the speakers working.. Not like most surround, where it kicks it into 2.1 which removes the rear outputs.. When your listening to music and stereo stuff. The Hi-Fi works great for stuff where the source is not encoded to full surround. oyu get all the speakers working and a a nice warm sound.

Totally agree. I use my PC for almost everything (Games, TV, Films, Music). When listening to music I use my Pioneer stereo AMP and with games, films ETC I use my 5.1 setup. Stereo AMP connected via 3.5mm RCA and 5.1 setup connected via optical digital out.

Back